Google Chat no longer working?

I’ve been happily using em Client on both Mac and Windows for the past two years, and it has replaced the use of separate 3rd party chat applications, for chatting with co-workers via our corporate Google based mail (GSuite). In the past day or so, none of the Google users show online anymore in the chat pane on the right side of em Client, and I have been forced to open a browser window to Gmail, in order to conduct work related chats.

Has Google killed the interface that em Client uses? It shows ME as online, with no errors, logged into 5 different Google accounts. However, the only users I see available for chat are ones with @gmail.com email addresses, not ones with custom domains.

Thanks.

I can also replicate this issue for Google Workspace Business Domain customers.

I think the problem is that alot of Google Business Workspace customer domain accounts from what i have seen don’t have the “new chat” updated in their Gmail accounts online as yet which then doesn’t show their online at all in eM Client.

Ive been onto Google about this and they say it could be another month till all Gsuite / Workspace Domain accounts have been automatically converted over from the old hangouts chat system to the new Chat system which then they say will show again in eM Client chat, when the Gmail Workspace Domain users select Online as their chat status.

1 Like

We found out after I posted this that the guy who administers our Google account turned off the legacy Hangouts option for all users, due to the fact that Google sent him an email saying it was going away this month. So he kicked all of us out of chat, forcing us to use the Chrome based chat client for the moment. I’ll be glad to see it come back in em Client soon.

All our Google business Workspace accounts have now automatically converted in the last week to the new Chat, and Spaces etc with the new GUI and everything is working now.

Ps We are lucky as we control the Domain too.

Hallo zusammen, wie kann ich bei emClient die Chatfunktion einrichten? konnte hierzu nichts finden?

On June 16th, 2022 Google ended their support for Google Talk service, effectively shutting down connection to it via XMPP protocol. This means that the chat feature for your Google accounts will stop working in eM Client, as we used the XMPP protocol to connect to Google’s chat services.

You can read about this change here in Google’s support page: Google Talk for third-party apps.

Unfortunately this means we will have to remove the Google chat option from eM Client for now. Our team will look into alternate protocol and API options for Google Chat and see if we could perhaps return it in the future.

Update: Google has fully shut down their servers for XMPP, so you may now see this error in older eM Client versions:

[XMPP]Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: ‘SslStream’.

You can stop seeing this error by navigating to Menu > Accounts and under the General tab of your Gmail account uncheck the XMPP service. Then save this change.