Google advanced protection

So, I turned on Google’s new Advanced Protection and EMClient went kaput. This is what I get now. I am going to turn off Advanced Protection - but I am curious. Is EMClient going to support this new magically convoluted and complicated yet eventually will be embraced by the masses security feature? Any scheduled updates?

Kindest regards 

400.  That’s an error.

Error: policy_enforced

A native application:  eM Client

You can email the developer of this application at: [email protected]

Google cannot give this app access to your account data because Advanced Protection is turned on for your Google Account.

Learn more

Request Details

That’s all we know.

1 Like

I would be very interested in this as well. I’m an eM Client user and currently considering to activate Google Advanced Protection, but having to loose eM Client would be a big loss.

2 Likes

I’m also very interested. I’ll end up standing on an outlook wanting to jump off if I can’t have my beloved EMclient. Google’s Advanced Protection is awesome for mixed issued/BYOD environments and a must in my company and I finally got forced to enroll my account too. :rofl: Also, missing the pop-out calendar function is killing me.

Is there any hope of any dev work on this challenge? Please?

1 Like

As far as i’m aware even in the latest EMC 8.1x official release version, doesn’t yet support Googles Advanced Protection. EMC though does support Googles 2 Step authentication and does work fine with that.

Looking around the Internet, Not many email clients as yet do support that optional Google Advanced Protection. Maybe next year EMC might have an update for that extra option. Time will tell.

For me personally i use a Google multi-combination password with letters, special characters and numbers as well as 2 Step verification which is good enough for me at the present time.

However I can imagine though peeps like journalists, activists, or public speaking people etc would want the extra advanced protection for various reasons.

This is my experience as well. I submitted a help ticket to support as a licensed user. I will add to this reply if I get a usable answer.

However, so far the only desktop client that works with Gmail is Mozilla Thunderbird. That process did not go well. After accepting one account, Thunderbird refused to recognize my hardware token for two others that been accepted by Google for multiple Gmail accounts.

Otherwise, for web based access to Gmail via the Chrome browser, I still have access to all my email accounts and data, I just can’t use emClient them any more.

Can you please remove the Gmail account, then add it back again.

This will setup the account using oAuth, which it may not have been before.

It only worked for one gmail account, when I tried to add a second gmail account, the process failed and Google blocked it. Then the entire application froze and had to be stopped via the task manager. oAth only worked for the first account.

Have you disabled Googles advanced protection in your Google account for your second Gmail account?. If you haven’t, disable it first before trying to add the accounts again via the automatic wizard in eM Client.

If you have already disabled Googles advanced protection for your second Gmail account, then sounds like something went wrong in your eg: Browser possibly allowing your second Gmail account in Google when setting up in eM Client wizard, in which case i would suggest to clear your temp cache in your default browser and reboot your computer and try again.

If eM Client still crashes setting up your second Gmail account, update this thread as to what version of eM Client you have and ver number, and also when you go through the automatic wizard in eM Client, how far do you get up to. eg: Do you get up to the part where you click on “Allow” in your browser to allow eM Client access to your Google account ?. Screenshot where you exactly get up to.

I’m a new user who is evaluating eM Client. The program looks great, but it does not work with Google’s Advanced Account Protection:

Deciding if I want to use eM Client or use Google’s advanced account protection is an annoying decision. Why can’t the developers support it? Other developers do (like Microsoft).

Unfortunately Google’s Advanced Protection is not supported in eM Client because Google does not allow other apps to use the Advanced protection, so we cannot use it, even if we wanted to. Sorry.

You will need to disable it again in your Google settings.

I appreciate the rapid response, but I think that you may be mistaken. I have tried many other third-party email programs that are able to access my Gmail. is it possible that you could simply change the authentication process that you are using?

No, unfortunately not. Google have not made this available to apps, so it can’t be implemented.

Thank you again for the response.

As a test, I just added my Gmail account to my Microsoft outlook client. I did this on my phone, and on my desktop. I went to the Google authentication page and was prompted to use my YubiKey as a second authentication factor. It worked flawlessly.

I believe that you need to implement the modern Google authentication process that will handle the two factor requirements for advanced account protection. If you email me, I am happy to send you step-by-step screens of the user experience on the platform of your choice.

I should add that I have also tried several other third party mail apps on macOS and some of them properly implement this, while others do not.

Since you clearly provide PGP support because you care about security, it is surprising to me that you have not taken more interest in supporting Google’s advanced account protection, which is, quiet frankly, more effective at protecting security and privacy in 2023 than tools like PGP. (I speak with some personal expertise in this area.)

1 Like

New user here as well. I was very tempted to give this program a shot. Outlook and Thunderbird both break randomly every few months for me, and I have to nuke it and re-add all my accounts. If this worked I’d be happy to pay for it and stick around for years to come.

I can sign into all my Google and private email accounts on Outlook and Thunderbird without issue, but when it comes to eM Client, I can’t log into my main, most important email address. Google Advanced Protection is a MUST for some Google users, especially those earning any kind of income from Google whether it be AdSense, YouTube or another platform.

Thunderbird doesn’t work with Yubikeys, for example, and when signing in, it complains about my advanced security account when logging in. I need to use the one-time password from g.co/sc and it works fine. Outlook doesn’t seem to have any issues signing into these accounts either.

While I believe Mozilla, and Microsoft especially, can have something worked out with Google to let users behind these important accounts access their email, there is surely another way. Even so, is there a way for eM Client to apply for something like this?

I’m not a journalist who relies on advanced security for my daily safety, but having the ability to not drop my protection level just to sign into an email app would be great.

Unfortunately, as it is now, I won’t be able to use this app. I can sign into everything else, but waking up and opening GMail aside my email app just isn’t appealing.

Unfortunately not. Google don’t make this technology available for applications. There is no way to request it.

@tcno

Unfortunately, as it is now, I won’t be able to use this app. I can sign into everything else, but waking up and opening Gmail aside my email app just isn’t appealing.

I’m not a journalist who relies on advanced security for my daily safety,

I too are also not a journalist and have been using eM Client and also Gmail for years with Googles 2 step verification and a 20+ digit combination password and never had any security concerns at all.

I also have many business friends who have been using eM Client & Gmail business accounts with 2 Step verification and descent combo passwords, and never had any security worries or concerns.

I personally don’t think Googles advanced protection is necessary for the average user in my opinion.

1 Like

Of course it is - that’s why Google won’t support it for 3rd party applications.

For the record, EM Client has no problem connecting to Google and I have no problem using Gmail / Calendar / Contacts etc via EM Client. oAuth request connected my account and things work over IMAP.

So, I’m not what the hubhub is all about at this point. It’s not like EMClient won’t work with Gmail, I simply don’t use Advanced Protection.

1 Like