gmail slow

Hi, I’ve been using eMClient for a month and it’s just getting slower and slower.

I have 2 gmail accounts syncing is really slow, but kinda ok because it’s in the background. The really annoying bit is when I try to move or even delete emails I’m consistently getting the message “The operation may take a while to complete” then the whole client is unuseable.

I have both accounts set to download messages for offline use, I tried unchecking, but then it took ages to open emails.

Verson 6.0.21040.0

PS does anyone else think this forum is a really crap platform? It doesn’t handle forward and back on chrome, I just get a form re submission error

Hi Alistair, can you please check how big is your eM client database folder in your local folder > App Data > Roaming?
For how long would you say is the “The operation may take a while to complete” message displayed while performing the mentioned actions?

Thank you,
Paul.

The biggest files in my Roaming directory are 5-6GB and the entire eM Client folder is 11GB. My setup is also unbearable slow. Often several seconds to just view an email.
Will it help to switch from IMAP to POP?
PS: I subscribe to the Gmail way of thinking. Storage is cheap. Search is fast. Never delete email :slight_smile:

Hi Paul,

Last time when I got this ‘This operation may take a while to complete’ message, I noticed that my e-mail was being synchronized while I was trying to send an e-mail. Coincidence? Or something to look at?

That might explain why Alistair is getting this message so often: synching of his Google e-mail account takes a long time, so (apparently/maybe?) moving or deleting e-mails is effected by that.

Hi Rolf, are you using the “Download messages for offline use” option in eM client? Note that eM Client by default only downloads the headers of emails and the rest of the message has to be downloaded after you click on the message, this may take a moment.

Switching from IMAP to POP would not help, as POP automatically saves all your data locally, it may just increase the size of your database.
Note that the application’s database is only as big as your mailboxes are.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hey all I just got too frustrated with this and deleted eMclient. Anything that takes this much trouble shooting to work normally ain’t worth it. I’ve swapped to Mailbird now and it’s superfast, clean and easy to use.

Hi again, sorry to hear that Alistair, if you ever decide to come back to eM Client, please make sure to let us know if you come across any future questions… or issues. We’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

I have tried both with and without “download messages for offline”. Both are really slow.
I have also tried running Mailbird in parallel on the same IMAP account - it’s blazing fast in comparison.
eMClient still have some nicer features in the calendar and such that I prefer, so I really want it to work for me. What are my options?
Is the size of the mailbox an issue for eMClient?

Hi again Rolf, what version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check for the exact version number in Help > About? Please make sure you’re using one of the most recent releases (.21040.0+) and possibly try to update your client to this release, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21254/setup.msi and check if the issue persists.

Thank you,
Paul.

I am on the 21040.0 version and will try out the 21254 version to see if that helps.

The problem persists in 21254: “This operation may take a while to complete” + IMAP connection errors + CPU quite busy all the time eMClient runs (iCore7/SSD).
Mailbird runs in parallel on the same IMAP Google Mail account and is 10x more responsive and does not complain about connection errors.

Paul,  I am having a similar problem.  when deleting or moving a group of emails, for example, I will get the message “The operation may take a while to complete”  It generally only last for few seconds but sometimes longer.  It  a bit annoying.  I just installed   http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21254/setup.msi and it did not help

So what are my options? Is there any way to make eMClient behave? I really like the program, apart from this core function :slight_smile:

Can you estimate a timeframe for a response on this? :slight_smile:

Hi again Rolf, in case you’re seeing the “this operation may take a while” for too long, can you please run this tool http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and run the tool while the message is shown?

The tool will generate a stackdump file in your documents folder, can you please submit this file to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul

Ok, so I have sent you logs. And stack dumps. And more logs after you switched version. And I promised to buy the pro version if you could get it to actually work with acceptable speed - and not spend 10s of seconds sending a simple email.

I guess we are at a point now, where I have to see the beef. Can you make it work? Or not?

I really like the client and could be a really happy user. But speed needs to be acceptable. You claim it’s really fast. I don’t care about really fast - I just need acceptable.

Let me know if you can make it work?

Paul, I just sent you this same comment in an email. Took exactly 38 seconds from hitting send to I could go on with other tasks in the client. 0.5 sec would be acceptable.