Gmail POP3 settings

Hi,

If you have problems setting up your POP 3 Gmail account, here’s how :

First go to the web interface of Gmail.
Make sure either Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded) or Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on is selected.
Choose Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded) if you want to download mail previously received at your Gmail account.
Otherwise, select Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on.

Select the action you want applied to mail after you have downloaded it to your email client under When messages are accessed with POP :

Keep Gmail’s copy in the inbox
Mark Gmail’s copy as read
Archive Gmail’s copy
Delete Gmail’s copy

Click Save Changes.

New account in eM Client:

Don’t use automatic account setup for Gmail but Email > Other.

smtp.gmail.com

port 465

Use SSL/TLS on a special port (legacy)

pop.gmail.com

port 995

Use SSL/TLS on a special port (legacy)

When you got " Permission denied or Connection timed out " :

Try loggin with your google account here to unlock it for application access: https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Click the “Continue” button to Allow access to your Google account.

Jaap.

Hi, thank you for sharing this, please make sure to let us know if you come across any issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Paul

Hi Paul

My gmail account was working until the last program update for eM Client and now I can’t access gmail POP accounts. I’m exactly following the setup described here, as using the standard gmail setup that eM Client provides tries to herd me along a path where I have to allow Google and eM Client access to everything (calendar, contacts etc) and I don’t want that.

What has changed here?

Hello John, if you’ve selected the option to setup a Google account, you will not be able to setup a Gmail account as POP3, please make absolutely sure to follow the instructions above as they clearly point out to select the Option ‘Other’ rather than the Gmail option, which will allow you to include the server settings for your POP3 server and SMTP.

By selecting the option of a Google account, standard authentication will be used, forcing you to login through OAuth and setting up an IMAP based account rather than POP3.

Hope this helps.

Hi Paul

Well, this is weird. I’m John Walker but that’s only a precis of the post I actually made.

And this one omits the problems I had even though I followed the procedure that you suggested. I only got the problem solved partially by deleting the account and re-entering all the POP details myself. A second problem, that the messages I send appear in my inbox rather than in the ‘sent’ messages, is still not solved.

But appreciate getting a response from eMc

Hello John, if you’re using a POP3 account, your items are not synchronized with the server only newly received email is downloaded to your Inbox, so you may have setup a rule somewhere that automatically forwards or copies the submitted message to your email again.

Hi Paul, this particular problem seems to have disappeared without remedy from me. However, the several problems I laid out in my earlier email appeared after the eMC update with no change in my configuration (including rules). In other words, what worked before didn’t work afterwards (and I still have no rules that would account for this problem). I’m now beginning to wonder if Google was re-configuring servers on Sunday and created some of these symptoms. However two of the problems I documented above and that have now vanished, when trying to re-install eMC, would be difficult to attribute to Google.

In other words, problems solved, several hours lost, and causes still a mystery.

Hello John, glad it works and thank you for following up with us, if you’re still having issues with some of the settings, let us know, we’ll be happy to help.