GMail: Please copy this code, switch to your application and paste it there

After changing my Google/GMail password eM Client wanted to be updated. After starting eM Client I get a series of panels:
a) Sign in
b) Welcome (enter your password)
c) eM Client wants to access your Google Account
d) Sign in, Please copy this code, switch to your application and paste it there
eM Client is waiting on a response to panel (d) so I am unable to switch to that. Closing [X] panel (d) results in a message  
e) Authentication process is not finished. Do you really want ot cancel the process? Yes/No
Any answer other than “Yes” continues to wait. “Yes” terminates the setup. Having copied the code in panel (d) there is no place to paste it.

Update: Turning on “Allow access for less secure apps” in my Google account had no effect.

I am unable to access GMail via eM Client.

If you have Google 2-step authentication enabled, can you disable it and see if this works?

I don’t know what happened to my update but the problem was a backlevel version of eM Client despite the “Help: Check for Update” saying no update was available. Downloading and installing the latest version cleared up the problem.

Thank you for your reply however. I’m not sure that it is possible to turn off the GMail two-step authorization process in eM Client however.