Files get locked when sending as an attachment

If I attach a file to an to email and send them email, the file gets a lock which never gets released. Only after completely shutting down emClient. And this is very annoying.

I see people reported this problem earlier and it has been fixedin some earlier releases.

I never experienced this problem with version 8, but recently I upgraded to 9.2.1222 and I’m facing this issue.

I’m already on version 9.2.1735 and still the problem persists.

If I attach a file to an to email and send them email, the file gets a lock which never gets released

I cannot replicate that issue with any attachments I send using the latest eM Client versions for Windows or Mac.

What “file attachment type” does this happen with ?

The issue is only with image files. Never seen the same issue with pdf’s, Word or Excel files, but it is also true that it is much much more often to send an image file and delete it afterwards compared to other file types.

It does not happen always. I would say that this happens let’s say 25% of the cases.

I had an email exchange with Gary Curtin from eMClient support earlier and I even shared a video with him demonstrating the problem. This was on 18th of March. He wrote me back that he could reproduce the problem and they will take care of this. This was on 21st of March. But I still don’t see this fixed.

The issue is only with image files. Never seen the same issue with pdf’s, Word or Excel files

What type of image files and what size ?

I don’t know if the file type matters or not. I’ve always experienced it with graphic files. Mostly I’m using JPG or PNG and I think I’ve seen the issue with both of them.

Also size does not seem to matter. Right now I have a 40kb JPG file locked. So I have to shut down eMClient to be able to delete the file.

I don’t know if the file type matters or not. I’ve always experienced it with graphic files. Mostly I’m using JPG or PNG and I think I’ve seen the issue with both of them.

Also size does not seem to matter. Right now I have a 40kb JPG file locked.

I have retested using the latest eM Client version 9.2.2054 using Windows 10 & 11 and Mac Ventura and “still have no locking file problems” after sending email with with any file attachments including .jpg & .png at any kb file size. So i suspect you may have something going on in your OS that is locking those files after sending emails. Possible some background program is running resident causing the problem.

However you can certainly first try uninstalling and reinstalling eM Client (if you haven’t already) “incase its a program related issue” where eM Client maybe didn’t install correctly or something went wrong on the initial installation previously. All the various latest eM Client versions are via the release history page.

If you do try uninstalling and reinstalling and have Windows OS, don’t delete the database when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then just reinstall and eM Client will then pickup your existing database.

If you have a Mac, just go to Finder / Applications and drag the eM Client app to the Bin. Then reinstall.

If uninstalling and reinstalling eM Client makes no difference, then try disabling “all non OS” background startup programs on the computer bootup and see if that fixes the problem. If that then works, you will need to enable those background startup programs one at a time till you find whats causing the locking issue.

However if disabling all non OS background startup programs still makes no differance to the problem, i would suggest to maybe create a new eg: Test profile in your OS and see if that works.

I am not able to reproduce this with the versions available in the Release History released after March 2023: 9.2.2038 or 9.2.2054.

Can you please install the latest version and see if there is any difference.

My version is 9.2.1735 (3d90379). But when I’m looking for any updates, it says that I’m using the latest version. Which is strange, seeing that there are already versions like 9.2.2038 or 9.2.2054.

Yes, I said to install them from the Release History, not to check for update.