Failed Gmail Password

Had a minor “security” issue with GMAIL and am receiving the message from emc: Server says “invalid credentials (Failure)” and emc seems to want a password. I’ve changed my GMAIL password and am trying the new one but still getting the same (Failure) message. What now?

There was a major Google outage today so hopefully it was not related to that outage. Is it working now?

1 Like

My Calendar and Contacts came back on at about 1pm UTC.

I’m afraid not, Ed. I can get into my GMAIL directly using my new password, but I’m still getting the (Failure) from eMC

temp

Actually, that message is coming from Google (gmail). How can I see/change the passwords sent to the hotmail and gmail servers?

Well, for one thing that is not a valid user name.

What would be a valid user name, Gary?

Your whole Gmail address.

Correct. GMAIL uses your complete email address as the username.

OK, I’ve checked my password with Google and found where it is kept in eMC, updated it there, and the connection with Google is still failing - "Server says “Invalid credentials (Failure)” " And I’m using my full email address as my User Name.

OK, Ed, I’ve changed and again checked my password with Google and found where it is kept in eMC, updated it there, and the connection with Google is still failing - "Server says “Invalid credentials (Failure)” " And I’m using my full email address as my User Name. And I’m able to get into all functions of Google with that name and password combination. Anything to be gained (or lost) from removing and reinstalling eMC?

Are you maybe using an app password for Gmail. That is not the same as your account password. You need to check that with your Google settings on their web interface.

But there is no need to reinstall eM Client, and that will not change the accounts that you have already setup anyway.

One thing you can check is your account settings. If you have the wrong security policy, it may reject your password even if it is correct. Go to Menu > Accounts and click on the IMAP tab for the Gmail account. These are the settings that work:

If you have anything else, change them to exactly what is above, then see what happens.

If that does not help, then you can remove the Gmail account from eM Client, and add it again. If it is currently setup as POP3, then you will lose all your data, so you want to move all the incoming and sent messages to Local Folders before you do that. Also, make a backup before removing an account, just in case something goes wrong.

If these suggestions do not help, then you are most likely using the wrong credentials.

Also, can you please avoid posting the same questions in different threads. It makes it difficult for users to follow the comments.

1 Like

Thats my feeling as well Gary. Google makes it tougher to use a 3rd party email client when they have special passwords for external apps. It got so ridiculous I just turned that off. Yes its less secure but it was a royal pain to have to remember how to even get to the google website where the 3rd party passwords were stored. And if you didnt write it down…you had to remove it and create a new one…

If you have an app password setup, you need to use that in place of your account password. But in either case, POP3 or IMAP, you do not need to use an app password. Just remove that from your Google settings.

For IMAP, less secure apps can remain off, and an app password is not required. It is actually really easy to connect.

For POP3, you will need to enable less secure apps, but still, an app password is not required.