Explain Sender Avatar Behaviors in Message List

I need to begin by saying sender avatars in the message list are the biggest selling point to any email client. I have declined to use any email client that does not have that feature (such as PostBox). It’s very convenient to look down the list of new emails and immediately recognize who it is from according to the colorful avatar beside the message preview.

That being said, this morning I found that Google is no longer showing their Avatar logo in any message that comes from their service. In my instance, notifications from Google Nest. It changed from the Google logo to the letter “E” corresponding with my last name.

Being an Apple user, I have seen this behavior before. I used to use Apple Mail with the Mailbutler subscription service. That service used a source that provided a better-looking set of logo avatars in the message list than Apple Mail could. However, two years ago, Mailbutler announced that changes in Mac’s OS prohibited them from using that source and that custom logos would no longer be accessible.

This could just be a temporary issue. I am just curious, however, about how the avatar information is sourced (how we get all those great company logos next to the corresponding emails), and if there is any potential for those sources to be compromised with changes being made to Mac or Windows operating systems.

This morning I found that Google is no longer showing their Avatar logo in any message that comes from their service. In my instance, notifications from Google Nest. It changed from the Google logo to the letter “E” corresponding with my last name

I’ve seen that happen sometimes before with Google sent email Avatar’s. I suspect it’s just a temporary issue at their end. Suggest to wait a few days and see if it changes back.

If it still doesn’t change back, then you can try clearing the Avatar cache folder as per @Gary posts below from the following thread.

Note: Close eM Client before clearing the Avatar cache folder.

Do you happen to know if this is possible for the Mac client?

Apart from deleting the avatar image cache, you can also force eM Client to “re-download your avatar” as per the following eM Client support article. The below worked for me previously" when i couldn’t get my “Gravatar” Avatar to show.

How to change my own email account avatar?
Posted by @Olivia_Rust on 24 May 2019 15:59

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/180/0/how-do-i-change-my-own-email-account-avatar

(Extract from the above support url)

IMPORTANT: Please note that since eM Client updates the downloaded avatars every 30 days, the avatar changes won’t be immediately visible.

However, you can force eM Client to re-download new images by disabling and re-enabling the download of images from external sources, which will clear the image cache:

Go to Menu > Settings > Contacts > General
Disable the option ‘Download avatars from external sources’ and click ‘Apply’
Then enable the option ‘Download avatars from external sources’ again and click ‘Ok’
Your new image will show up now

Example using EMC V9.1.2109 for Windows.

As always, thank you for your well detailed and helpful responses, cyberzork

1 Like