Error: The attachment cannot be downloaded

A zero byte file with the correct filename is written to the hard disk along with the message that “The attachment cannot be downloaded”.

It seems very random.  Just tested a number of .xlsx attachments to emails I have received.  Some open just fine and others I get the error message above.  PDFs seem always to open/save.

Earlier in this thread someone else said they could not forward a message using eM if the message attachment cannot be downloaded.  I just tested that and I agree – cannot forward.  Here is the error message:

If I use Outlook Web Access this same email can be forwarded.

Can you please try to update your eM Client to this release, 6.0.22930.0 and check if the issue persists?

Regards,

I just updated to 6.0.22930.0, but I also still have the problem that some attachments (.docx) cannot be opened or downloaded while others can. It seems only to happen on my exchange server (@wfp.org). This is a big problem. I just moved to eM after upgrading to Windows 10, because Windows 10 is ridiculous, but unfortunately, eM also seems to be bugged. Any solution?

Hello Ingo, if you’re experiencing this issue with an Exchange account, have you tried to repair the affected folders from which the attachment can not be downloaded, unfortunately we’ve came across this issue recently and were able to resolve the problem, but affected folders need to be resynchronised with the server in order to restore the functionality.

To restore the folder, right click the folder in the left pane and select Properties > Repair and click on the repair button in order to resolve the problem, let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,

Sorry it took so long for my reply – I was travelling with limited internet access.

I upgraded to 6.0.22930.0, repaired the folder, and – good news – the attachments now can be saved.  I tested it with attachments that are .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx – all can be saved.  Also tested forwarding – now works as well.

Unfortunately, the displayed message size still excludes the attachment size.  So only a very tiny message size is reported for an email even though the attachment size is many mb.

Your colleague contacted me via email and the problem seems to be solved now. I had to uninstall my version, because he sent me another setup.msi that is older (22504). After installing that version, removing my exchange account and adding it again everything seems to be working fine, except for the fact that sychronisation often appears to be rather slow.

Glad it works, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,

Hello again, glad it works, sorry about this inconvenience, we’re working on resolving this issue in future updates.

Regards,

I have the same problem. I upgraded to version 6.0.22930.0 on Windows 10 and tried to repair as well. I can’t download a pdf (199 kb) Through my webversion of exchange it is no problem at all. Please help. Best regards, Rob

Hello Rob, if you’ve repaired the folder, can you please try what Ingo has suggested and uninstall eM Client to install an older release - 6.0.22504.0 . If the issue persists, please let us know so we can get additional logging data regarding this issue.

But if you’ve repaired the folder in which message with the “undownloadable” attachment is saved after updating, you should no longer receive this issue.

Regards,

There also might be another issue. If everything works well, it still may sometimes appear as if an attachment in some emails cannot be downloaded, while in others there might be no problem to open it. It seems that eM Client unfortunately does not automatically downloads attachments of messages unless the message is opened or read. As eM Client also seems to be a bit slow with downloading, one might think that it is not working. Perhaps wait a little longer to see whether it does download the attachment.

One more question. After having solved my main problem with installing the older setup.msi, can I still run updates or will it throw me back to where I started out?

Hello, version later than 22430 has a fix for the issue included, please make sure to update your eM Client, as new releases contain helpful bug fixes.

Regards,

Please note that eM Client by default only downloads the headers of your emails to ease up on the synchronisation with your mail server, if you open a message in eM Client the rest of the body content is downloaded. You can avoid this behaviour if you’d really just like to synchronise all your items for offline use by enabling the option in Tools > Accounts.

Enable “Download messages for offline” to pre-download items once they’re available on your mail server and use the option “include attachments” if you’d like to have your attachments downloaded for offline use as well.

Regards,

Two years later and I’m still having this issue.  I tried checking the Exchange services under Tools/Settings to no avail.  This seems to happen sporadically.  Sometimes eMClient works when downloading attachments, other times it doesn’t.