Error in account setup for outlook.com

This is a first time install of eM Client.  I am trying to setup the first account with Outlook.com.  I supplied the email address and password. eM Client automatically set the Server: m.hotmail.com and set to use identity credentials.

All of the folders downloaded to eM Client but did not get any emails in any of the folders including the inbox. 

The error message that I received is:

[AirSync] An attempt to connect to (email address) failed.  This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings.  Do you want to check the settings?

I also tried setting with Tools then Accounts and got the same message.

The next account that I will be adding is a Microsoft Exchange account.

Let me know if you have any advice for successfully adding this account and the outlook.com account.

This is the log for the outlook.com account.

10:07:18 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync]  Synchronizing folder list

10:47:20 PM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
10:47:20 PM    at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
10:47:20 PM    — End of inner exception stack trace —
10:47:20 PM    at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
10:47:20 PM    at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.\<\>c\_\_DisplayClass2e.\<\>c\_\_DisplayClass33.<enqueuesynchronize>b__2a(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)<br>10:47:20 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(IItemSynchronizeContext1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)<br>10:47:20 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.GetSyncKey(Folder folder, IItemContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
10:47:20 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Found invalid data while decoding. —> System.IO.InvalidDataException: Found invalid data while decoding.
10:47:19 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder 'ssammons@outlook.com/1Market Trend Signal/'
10:47:18 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
10:43:39 PM — End of inner exception stack trace —
10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass2e.&lt;&gt;c __DisplayClass33.<enqueuesynchronize>b__ 2a(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)<br>10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(IItemSynchronizeContext1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)<br>10:43:39 PM at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.GetSyncKey(Folder folder, IItemContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
10:43:39 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Found invalid data while decoding. —> System.IO.InvalidDataException: Found invalid data while decoding.
10:43:39 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder 'ssammons@outlook.com/1Market Trend Signal/'
10:43:38 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list
10:43:38 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list
10:43:36 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list
10:37:18 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list10:27:18 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list10:17:18 PM ssammons@outlook.com [AirSync] Synchronizing folder list

Hello Scott,
unfortunately the automatic setup is a bit tricky for outlook accounts at the moment, as Microsoft is slowly ending support for AirSync/ActiveSync. The servers are still assigned to it but they no longer work.
You will need to set up your account again manually using IMAP. Go to Tools>Accounts and in the New Account setup use the Mail>Other option with the servers set to imap-mail.outlook.com and smtp-mail.outlook.com

Regards,
Olivia

Olivia,

I was able to correct the installation. 

However,  the emails still exist at  outlook.com.  Is there  a  setting that will remove the emails when they are downloaded to  EmClient?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,
if you have your account set up as IMAP then no, because IMAP synchronizes your data with the server. Deleting the data from one will remove it from the other.
You probably want to use POP protocol instead, which removes the messages from your server once they are downloaded to your computer.
Make sure to do backups of your database if you do this though, seeing as the copy in your computer will be the only one of the message.

Regards,
Olivia

Got imap to work but not smtp? What is port setting for smtp?

imap didn’t work af first, but did diagnostics and it fixed it, using imap server imap.outlook.com on port 993.
But the fix doesn’t work for smtp. Says credentials rejected, even though they were acceted by imap??

So now I can receive but not send??

Hi Gary,
could you please include a screenshot of the SMTP server setting?
Also, please next time make a new topic about your problem or find a similar one which has the same errors or log stamps.

Regards,
Olivia

Still having problems with the pop setup for incoming emails.

Outgoing settings (smtp-mail.outlook.com) worked fine.
Incoming settings (pop3-mail.outlook.com) gave me the following error message.
“An email was detected , however, your credentials were rejected.”
The login credentials are correct.

Please advise the needed changes to these settings.

Hello Scott,
try pop-mail.outlook.com instead.

Regards,
Olivia

Same error message.  The login credentials are correct. 

Can you copy the content of Tools>Operations>Log for me after this error pops up?

Not much information on log.  There was no information in the log initially after maneuvering to log tab. This is the log tab information:

11:22:01 AM ssammons@outlook.com [POP3]  Connecting: To ssammons@outlook.com
11:22:22 AM ssammons@outlook.com [POP3]  MailExceptions.SocketException: Error when receiving from account ssammons@outlook.com : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 157.55.1.215:110
11:22:22 AM    at MailClient.Pop3.Pop3ReceiveCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
11:22:22 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

This is the error tab information.

Could not copy or screen print.  It basically said the connecting to ssammons@outlook.com failed. 

FYI, the password is correct.

Hello Scott,
this is a different issue then, looks like there is a problem with the connection to the server. Can you make exceptions for eM Client in Windows Firewall and any Antivirus software you are using that could be disconnecting eM client from the mail server?

Regards,
Olivia