eMClient won't connect to imap server

I have been using ver. 7.2.40748.0 and have tried twice to upgrade… first to 8.0.2703.0 and today to 8.0.3385.0. Neither upgrade will connect to the server. Since comcast quit using imap there is no way to stop emclient from trying to access the imap server. Diagnostics shows smtp server ok but will not access the imap server which isn’t there. Under Accounts/General/Services can not uncheck imap. Version 7.2.40748.0 works just fine even though it has some problems, which is why I was hoping to upgrade. Please fix emclient so that imap checking can be disabled.

I did a little research, but it does not appear that Comcast has quit IMAP. It would be very strange if they did because IMAP is now generally considered the default email protocol.

If you want to use POP3, you will need to remove the IMAP account from eM Client, then setup the account manually as POP3. You can find out how to do that in the Help File.

But as to why version 8 won’t connect . . . it was a common issue after upgrading from 7 to 8 that there was no connection especially with those using Avast anti-virus application. If that is what you use, disable the Avast Mail Shield, or configure it to allow eM Client.

I could be mistaken about the imap thing, but I remember getting an email from comcast about them changing something to do with email servers. Anyway, shortly thereafter I started getting a popup from
Outlook 2007 every time it started, saying that the security certificate could not be verified. I assumed they were related. (Point of interest, Outlook 2007 will still connect to both imap & smtp
comcast servers when I accept the certificate)

As to the upgrade problem, I use AVG and Zonealarm. During the first upgrade attempt, I went so far as to disable both AVG & Zonealarm before the upgrade but eMClient still would not connect to
comcast’s imap server. It connects ok to the smtp server. I tried using different ports as per some suggestions but nothing works. Soooo… I uninstalled ver. 8 and went back to ver. 7.

sábado 24 octubre 2020 :: 1109hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @BatBytes

I just spotted your problem, personally I wouldn’t have the Free version AVG on my system - they sell your browsing history through Jumpshot a sister company. (if you want more detail ask)

Anyway your IMAP issue…
It could well be that ZoneAlarm is causing the problem with eMC v8, a mystery as to why not in v7.

In Zonealarm click on firewall then basic firewall. You should see a list of blocked transactions check the IP entry. If the IP address listed is that of your ISP and receipts from IMAP.
Click on this, then add to zone and make it trusted.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]

As per my previous post… “I went so far as to disable both AVG & Zonealarm before the upgrade but eMClient still would not connect to comcast’s imap server.”

Maybe you can give the error. You will find this in Menu > Operations, then look for any IMAP error in the Log tab.

I would but… I uninstalled v.8 and I’m very reluctant to install it again because (and this is another problem with v.8) the install process did not give me a choice of where to install. I wanted to install to a different location so that I could keep v.7 in case v.8 didn’t work, again, and lo & behold v.8 install didn’t give me a choice, it just upgraded over v.7. At this point I’m very frustrated with v.8.

Yes, that is what upgrade means; it replaces the previous version with the new one.

Neither version 7 nor version 8 give an option of where to install. Nor can you have both versions installed at the same time.

If you decide to upgrade again at some later time, and still it will not connect, giving the error will give some definite clue as to how to fix it.

That’s a bummer. I have other software with 2 different versions installed. At the least it should ask where to install. I have never run across software that doesn’t ask. That should be changed.

I think this is a modern trend not to ask.

Out of interest, could you give an example of an installed application you use that you have two versions running.

sábado 24 octubre 2020 :: 2251hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @BatBytes

Yes I noted that you disabled AVG & ZoneAlarm during the FIRST upgrade attempt. Are you now saying that you deleted and reinstalled eMC and did NOT enable both after the NEXT upgrade attempt and that there is an issue when both are disabled?

The IMAP checking you refer to previously is not something eMC can fix, it is a comcast / xfinity requirement.

@BatBytes
I could be mistaken about the imap thing, but I remember getting an email from comcast about them changing something to do with email servers.

You are correct about this, they have changed a lot of things, follow this link:

I also found this link though I didn’t explore it further - it might be worth a look.

I see you want the option to choose where to install, a good idea. @Gary is correct that there is no option for this, however, it can be done if you know how to edit the setup routine; my installation is on E: I have nothing for eMC on C: which is the default. This should not be attempted unless you really know what you are doing.
Also I would be interested to know what you have 2 versions of installed, as far as I’m aware you would need to use Sandbox in Windows 10 to do this.

Skybat

[email protected]

At the moment I don’t have any but in the past I often installed a newer version(upgrade) to a different location until I was sure I wanted to keep the upgrade.

Yes I noted that you disabled AVG & ZoneAlarm during the FIRST upgrade attempt. Are you now saying that you deleted and reinstalled eMC and did NOT enable both after the NEXT upgrade attempt and that there is an issue when both are disabled?

On the first upgrade attempt(several months ago) to 8.0.2703.0, AVG & ZoneAlarm were running. eMClient would not connect. I uninstalled it, disabled AVG & ZoneAlarm and tried again. Still would not connect. Uninstalled eMC & re-enabled AVG & ZoneAlarm.

On the latest upgrade attempt(just a few days ago) I tried the upgrade with AVG & ZoneAlarm both enabled. Same result as first attempt. As said before, I am now back on ver. 7.2.4748.0.

If I rename the eMC folder do you think v.8 would install without overwriting the current location?

sábado 24 octubre 2020 :: 2342hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @BatBytes

I’ve never tried though I can’t imagine it will make any difference if you rename the eMC folder because there are more than one installation locations plus the registry entries. All you will succeed in doing is corrupting what is there.

Skybat

[email protected]

1 Like