Emclient stopped continually

EMclient crashes continually

I will contact you directly by email.

That’s not very helpful, Gary. I’m having the same problem and would really like to know what your advice is to correct it. It happened last month, too, and stopped when I turned off a background service which went online to check for updates (from another program). Clearly there was a conflict if both programs tried to access the Internet at the same time. But it’s started again and after turning off every non-system background service and shutting down and restarting it happening again - frequently. Someone suggested checking the database for errors - but I can’t find out how to do that.

It happened last month, too, and stopped when I turned off a background service which went online to check for updates

Do you have Windows or Mac and what OS version?

Also what version of eM Client do you have ?

Lastly what background program service did you turn off that checked for updates online ?

W

Windows 11, eMClient 9.2.1222 (ca 10485)
It was a Ashampoo service program running in the background to check with Ashampoo about new program updates, came with the latest version of Ashampoo backup pro.
But eMClient has started failing again and I’ve turned off any background service that isn’t a system service.
Regardless of what other program is using access to the network it’s clearly something breaking in the eMClient’s own code. Not one of my other programs crashes and eMClient never used to crash like this - I’ve used it for over a decade. It’s a BUG.
Every time it crashes it opens a window indicating it is sending a crash report to eMClient. I have added my email to many of those notices but never once had any feedback from eMClient. Their team must be swamped with similar reports. I’ve read through the report myself but can’t find anything in it about the failure so I’m guessing the support people, if they do ever check these, can’t find the break in the code either.

@richardchesher

Ashampoo backup pro.
But eMClient has started failing again and I’ve turned off any background service that isn’t a system service

I personally are not getting crashing like that in Windows 11 (22H2) with the same eM Client V9.2.1222. So as you have disabled all non OS background tasks (including Ashampoo Pro) as you advised and it’s still crashing, then I can only presume it’s either a problem with the eM Client installation or upgrade when it initially installed, or something different in the Windows 11 OS itself.

So first backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is complete via “Menu / Operations”. Once backed up close eM Client and uninstall and “don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then redownload V9.2.1222 from the release history page and reinstall & see if that fixes it.

Failing that, check and do any Windows major updates and patches. Could be possibly your missing new Win 11 updates that are needed.

Also do any video driver updates if you have a custom video card and new drivers are available. Crashes in any Windows program can happen if you have outdated or older video drivers.

Next if everything is up to date and still crashing, then try creating a new test Win 11 user profile & see if that fixes it.

Lastly you may need to save all your current profile documents / stuff etc & do a clean Win 11 installation, and then reinstall eM Client and restore your eM Client backup. The backup.zip files live in your user profile “documents / eM Client” folder by default. You can also check that via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup”.

I’ve actually done all that you recommend - and it was a royal pain getting it all set up again after reinstalling. I have not done a new profile to see if that fixes it because I don’t want to use my email client in a new profile.
I understand the bug had been identified and will be available in the next update. I’ll reinstall it again when I get a copy of the Beta version.
This is actually a great opportunity for eMClient to see if they actually found the bug and fixed it. So how do I join beta testing and test the beta?
PS. In the time it took me to click on the forum email and type this eMClient crashed AGAIN.
PPS. eMClient is the ONLY program crashing on this computer. The only one. If it has a conflict with some other service why don’t any other programs have the same problem?
I just did another test. Turned off every other program - checked on the Task Manager and turned off all background services that were not normal system background services. Then I just let it sit there by itself. It crashed after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
Plus, I should mention that after I installed the latest update it worked normally until just a few weeks ago so it wasn’t the installation. It might be an error in the database but every time it starts again it does a database check to see if there is anything wrong and it does not find anything.

From the start I thought the crash was coming when eMClient tried to access my gmail imap accounts. So as a test I deleted my email account and guess what… Not crashing now. At least not for the last 30 minutes which is something of a record. So… it could be something gmail has done causing the conflict. eMClient is supposed to do a sync with the gmail calendar, email, and lord knows what else. Any one of those things could be skewering eMClient.

As I type this eM Client is just sitting there, happy with it’s headroom.

@richardchesher

I’ve actually done all that you recommend - and it was a royal pain getting it all set up again after reinstalling.

After you reinstall it just picks up the existing database and (no re-setup is needed) if you followed my instructions of not deleting the database when you uninstall on the wizard.

However If you did delete the database when you uninstalled it via the wizard then after the program is reinstalled, skip the initial setup and then restore the eM Client backup via “Menu / File / Restore”. Everything then is reinstated as it was before.

I understand the bug had been identified and will be available in the next update. I’ll reinstall it again when I get a copy of the Beta version

What bug is there that has been identified?. Can you update this thread with more information.

Sorry, cyberzork, the thread was split and I’ve been communicating with a guy named Gary and he said:

we have already fixed it, and the next release will resolve it for you.

Anyway the issue was caused when eMClient accessed my gmail accounts (I have two) - removed those accounts and it stopped crashing.

1 Like

SOLVED!!! The problem was with my two google accounts. I deleted them and eM Client worked perfectly again, not a single crash. I then went through the process of setting up the accounts again with Google and limited the download sync to 1 week and I turned off all the sync possibilities (calendar, contacts, etc,) just leaving the email sync.
So far, no more crashes!

I have the same problem. The reinstall did not solve it. I also have two Gmail accounts, but I cannot turn off sync possibilities, I need all calendars, contacts, etc.