emClient locks attachment files

If I add an attachment to a new message, and then delete the attachment from the message, the file remains locked in Windows, and the only way to unlock it is to restart emC. The following steps can demonstrate.

• Open a new message
  • Add a file as an attachment
  • Decide you want to rename the attachment before sending
  • Remove the attachment from the message
  • Attempt to rename the file, get message that the file is in use in another application
  • Close the message without saving
  • Attempt to rename the file, get same message
    – OR –
  • Send the message without the attachment
  • Attempt to rename the file, get same message

The ONLY way to clear the lock on the file is to shut down eMC.

eMC should release the file as soon as the attachment is deleted from the message, or the message is sent.

1 Like

domingo 14 abril 2024 :: 1911hrs (UTC +0100)

It is possibly because …Windows/system32/taskkill.exe is not being called for some reason.
However, it is possible to create a shortcut to run taskkill from the Context Menu in Windows by editing the Registry.
I am able to post the .reg file from my own Registry that can be imported into the Registry to create the shortcut but I am concerned that it could cause issues if used incorrectly.
(It only works with Win 10 & 11)
If anyone wants it I can provide a download link via eMC message on request with the express understanding that it is at your own risk.
If you do not understand please do not ask.

skybat

¡Buena suerte!

¡Los mejores desde Valencia y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t want to have to run an extra task to do something that the program should be doing. :wink:

if I add an attachment to a new message, and then delete the attachment from the message, the file remains locked in Windows, and the only way to unlock it is to restart emC.

That happens for me with “many different programs” randomly over the years in the Windows environment and not just eM Client related. I believe this is OS related issue and not and eM Client issue.

I personally normally just use “a free unlocker program” like eg:- Unlock It (apart from using a reg file as @skybat advised) anytime I get that situation arise. There is heaps of freeware unlocker file programs out there.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, but this is a completely predictable and repeatable problem and only happens with eM Client. The only program that is using the relevant file on any system on my network is eM Client. So it seems logical to me that eM Client is the program that is using and not releasing the file.

I’m really not interested in what people “believe” is happening, I was hoping that someone would look at the code and find out what is happening. Apparently this is not the correct place to report what I believe to be a bug in the code. I’ll try to find another way to report it to the developers.

I was hoping that someone would look at the code and find out what is happening

Ok if it is then a bug as you say and not an OS issue, then eM Client Devs will fix it as the company does read the community forum posts.

If you can also post what version of Windows you are using and also what version of eM Client you have.

lunes 15 abril 2024 :: 1647hrs (UTC +0100)

Yes I agree with @cyberzork that it is more likely to be an OS issue.

skybat

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like