emclient is not downloading email from bt

Many thanks Brian. Have you seen the other issue I mentioned - i.e. truncated email body (or sometimes completely empty email body)… ?

yes I have had this in the past but not for a long time

Exactly the same problem, BT state that they do not support 3rd parties, I am convinced that BT have caused my problem and in all honesty I don’t think they know how to fix it, there service and support are dysfunctional, if I wasn’t in contract I would leave today, frustrated by BT.

If it a BT problem why does it work without problems on an iphone and a microsoft surface?
I am sure its in emclient that the problem arises

different infrastructure

Just to update things from me. From what I’ve found is that it is definitely an issue with BT, but how different email clients handle it is also a problem. Someone else on Thunderbird with BT gets an error, but it doesn’t stop him working. My friend on emClient on the other hand, can’t do anything.

I’ll update things as I learn more. :slight_smile:

Its a minefield of denials and untruths, agreed I will see how I get on but have little confidence that BT even want to fix the problem if indeed they can, suggested they do an RCA, went quiet on the phone, think that says it all.

Having same problem with “Cannot open folder…” tried deleting and re-adding a/c, and tried removing and reinstalling eMClient, but problem persists. Told BT via chat but they could not help.

Been there I am afraid said they would call today by 12, they caused the problem, they should fix it, but to be honest I truly do not think of them as competent, the opposite in fact. I have even tried a different machine but to no avail. I had to push hard to get a response, think nothing will happen.

There has been a lot of issues with bt, mainly with pop3 and Imap servers (mainly just bt in general).

I have three customers, 2 are having issues with connecting to the server when trying to download emails (Checked settings, diagnostics, all is correct even after re-adding it.) 

But another can get emails but gets this error whenever I click on inbox or on specific subfolders, I am guessing it is an error when trying to sync because when I try to repair the specific subfolder the error comes back when I restart em client. 

Here’s hoping that this gets fixed altogether because I don’t want to go messaging bt all the time to try and fix a users mailbox (because nearly every customer that I work with uses bt mail.

Any help would be appreciated

This morning I reconfigured em client to bypass the bt mail servers and access the Yahoo mail servers directly. So far it’s been working fine and I’ve had no errors etc. I know it’s still early days, but this morning I was constantly getting the unexpected argument error and my mail was unusable, but since bypassing the BT servers no errors.

I’m not sure what (if any) implications there are if you access the Yahoo servers directly. Interestingly BT stopped the ability to access the Yahoo servers directly when using the browser based web client a while ago. It was actually a BT support engineer who used the bypass to try and troubleshoot a mail issue I had !

Will report back later once I’ve been running this way for a bit longer…

You got a link to the server settings for that?

Please do its a damned nightmare for us all

good idea to see if it remains stable, I am hoping that BT realise the pain they are causing, and yes if it appears to work the settings would be a god send.

Well it’s been fine for over 5 hours now - which is about 5 hours longer than it’s been for the last few weeks, so if you want to give it a try…

Firstly, please see the note in the following BT page under the heading “Important advice for customers using BT Yahoo email” :

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9962/~/setting-up-your-email

So in theory BT stopped direct access to the Yahoo mail servers, and indeed you can’t use webmail.  But it appears to be working for emClient (and I also tried Windows Mail client and that worked).

Here is the link to configure using the Yahoo servers:

https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/bt/SLN4075.html

So you should just need to change the imap and smtp servers as detailed. All the port settings etc should be the same.

One extra thing - if you are using your username to authenticate rather than your full email address you may have to change that to the full email address (I had to). For example if you were using “fred.blogs” to authenticate change it to “[email protected]”.

Good luck if you try the above and if it all goes horribly wrong don’t blame me !!!

Appreciate the links Pete. Didn’t work for me but might for others.

didn’t work for me either, oh well back to the drawing board, problem is you don’t know what erroneous change BT will make next…

Call BT up and let them know. I just did and it’s the first they heard of it. They said these type of errors usually only last 24 hours LOL. I asked about a Yahoo server to use in the meantime and they said there wasn’t. Just have to use the web based email until someone pulls their finger out.

They know alright, I have been dealing with them since last week on this exact problem, say nothing to do with us, its a problem with EM client, Thunderbird doesn’t work either, they need to talk or get a logging system where they can do a search and find similar issues instead of using stickies !!!, yes I am peeved off !!!

If its the first bt have heard of it how come its stated earlier in this thread that some pro users have had theirs fixed afer reporting to emclient
Is it a fix on an individual basis because if they have fixed it for some why not an across the board fix