emclient is not downloading email from bt

Its all working as I have set it up manually as before it must have been at ther bt end

The current version of eM Client has a preconfigured setting to correct for the BTINternet server. If you use the Automatic Setup, it will work correctly. If you use a manual setup, please ensure you are using the correct port and security policy settings as I have given above.

If these don’t work, and your anti-virus application is disabled, then it will most likely be an issue with BT.

As I have said its all working ok as before no problem

Sorry, I misread. I thought you wrote it was working. Check that you have the correct security policy for the ports, as that is important. Ignore what you had before. And disable your anti-virus application, then try again with version 7.

I’m having the same issue. Some days emClient with BT yahoo works, some days I only get the error. This isn’t an issue of port numbers or firewalls or virus checkers. Something in emClient is forming the imap messages badly. Perhaps the suggested special coding for BT yahoo email? Other email clients on Windows and my phone all run fine, all via imap.

Yahoo! Is notorious for service interruptions. Check with them and see of there is some problem with their server.

In eM Client, you can check your IMAP settings in Menu > Tools > Accounts. Make sure the port is 993 and the security policy is Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy).  Then disable your anti-virus application and see if there is any difference.

Just joined from another thread as have exactly the same problem with a BT account and emails only absent on EM account. I’ve changed the SMTP port number however, don’t understand what disabling anti virus has to do with the issue and isn’t it risky to switch it off?

I didn’t have time to take this further yesterday but today all the emails are coming in without changing anything else, however, emails from one of my accounts are sending, whilst emails in the other account are sitting in the outbox of the local folder. I’ve never used the local folder and not even sure what it’s for as there wasn’t such a thing when I was using outlook. IMAP and SMPT settings are identical in both accounts so why would emails send from one a/c and not the other? 

Jill
I have had problems with BT and ignore all advice and wait a day and you will find it works again, if not then ask for help
Its a problem at BT end on maybe a server I have had it on my iphone
All emails sit in the local folder until sent try diagnostics on the account not sending

Your anti-virus software often blocks applications or their ports from accessing the Internet. Sometimes when everything was fine, and now it is not, it might be because of a software update which has changed the settings. Temporarily disabling the anti-virus application will determine if it is the cause. If it is, you will need to enable specific applications/ports in that software to allow eM Client to pass through when you re-enable it again. You are only disabling the application temporarily to test sending and receiving email, so don’t worry about security. Just don’t open any unknown files or install any applications while it is disabled. 

Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and make sure you are using the correct server settings. Providers often recommend specific settings, so go with those first. If that does not help, choose from one of the correct combinations I mentioned above. The combination is important. Having the incorrect policy can result in your password being rejected, or the connection being dropped. Your provider may have slightly different names for the security policy, so go with whatever port they recommend, and choose the correct policy from the list above.

If you have messages stalled in the Outbox, delete them. eM Client uses the Local Folders Outbox which you can view in Smart Folders by right-click and selecting Display > Outbox.

Thanks for the input Gary, the latest issue now seems to have resolved after deleting the emails in local folder outbox. 

I also note that the emClient program runs for a very long time with high cpu - this is MailClient.exe on Windows 7. This is also a new “feature”. While it is doing this it does not respond.

I installed Thunderbird on the same computer and it is connecting fine for reading and writing email with BT yahoo.

The first month of EM client worked fine, but ever since I took the licence it’s been nothing but trouble, apparently there is now a CLIENTBUG (that’s their upper case message) and emails are not downloading again. is thunderbird more reliable, and does it have a calendar?

If you have a Pro License, please open a support ticket directly with eM Client. They will be able to help you further.

Otherwise, if you are using eM Client for personal use, please post the full error message on this forum, and someone may be able to help you.

It’s the personal licence, I haven’t had time to look at it today but emails are coming back in again. I appreciate your input but it’s hard to know if there are going to be persistent problems or if it’s coincidence that a couple of things are not working just after taking out the licence. if it’s the former, I’d rather move elsewhere as i don’t have the time to persevere. 

The full error message is; IMAP cannot open folder for …@btinternet.com (CLIENTBUG SELECT) Additional arguments found after last expected argument.

It’s only applying to a handful of emails which are in my inbox but not downloading, they’re not restricted or spam and downloading on my ipad. Hence the previous question, should I just give up and find another platform as I don’t have time for nonsensical random error messages?

Similar problem here. I set up a friend with emClient and she has been getting on fine. She had to have her computer repaired (hard drive failure) so I had to set up emClient again for her. She says she was getting this error with BT before the hard drive crash.
This is a completely fresh install. I’ve attached a screen grab of the error messages.

yes that’s the same message, no idea what you’re supposed to decipher from that!

eM Client Support say that this may be a server-side issue over at BT as BT was able to resolve the issue when approached directly by some Pro License users. I suggest you contact BT and see what they can do for you.

The other possibility, or maybe related, is that it has to do with your anti-virus software. As I regularly advise, temporarily disabling it may solve the issue. If it does then you will need to re-configure that software.