emclient fails to start after windows update - mailclient.exe running, but no window

Windows update ran. now MailClient.exe is running, but no window. If I kill it and restart, I get the “checking for inconsistencies” dialog, which passes - database is fine. Then nothing. I ran the install/repair tool successfully but it did not help.

I am dead in the water at this point. If I can’t fix it soon I will have to go back to slow thunderbird, which at least works.

Could this be an issue with .NET? I think that was one of the things that updated.

This is Windows 7 on a Lenovo laptop. Not sure which version of em client, but it is very recent.

I tried moving the database and letting it create a new one. Same problem.

I reinstalled em Client completely. Same problem. I can’t even get to the UI to generate a log or a fresh backup, but luckily I did a backup earlier today.

Hi, if the application doesn’t start but runs in the background or in task manager, can you please check the tray and make sure eM client isn’t mininimized or closed in tray?

If not, please download this utility, http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and run the utility while the MailClient.exe is running in the Task Manager, this should generate a StackDump file in your documents folder.

Can you please submit the file to my email, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic for more information about the issue, you’re having?

Thank you,
Paul

Thanks, Paul. It was definitely not minimized - the icon in the tray was not illuminated, as it normally is when the program is open, and clicking the icon repeatedly did not bring anything up. Something is definitely up with the UI portion. I don’t believe the un-windowed process was checking email.

I was able to get the UI up by reverting the system to a prior state with system restore. Thus far I have not tried to determine which windows update is responsible for the mess, but I’ll try to do that over the next few days. Windows is very insistent that I reinstall all of its security updates. I have the stackdump utility & will run it as soon as it is needed.

thanks

Hi again, please note the difference between Tray and Taskbar, Tray is the part where only applications running in the background are displayed, e.g. your antivirus and other software, eM client can be hidden in the tray as well in case the option is enabled in the application’s settings.

I’m glad you were able to resolve the issue temporarily, please make sure to keep us posted if you come across the issue again after updating or if you were able to determine what system update has caused this.

Regards,
Paul