EMC does not close

Several times after closing EmClient completely, it will afterward hangs in the Windows task system.
The only way to get EmClient back again is to reboot or kill it the Task Manager.

Provided you are using a recent version of eM Client and your OS is up to date with the latest patches etc, that usually means “there is something else running in the background” interfering with eM Client shutting down & holding it open.

For a test try disabling “all non os background user tasks on startup” and then reboot to then see if eM Client closes correctly.

If it does then close properly, then enable those disabled background user startup tasks “one at a time” and “reboot in-between” till you find the program causing the eM Client closing problem.

Now if disabling all non os user background start-up tasks makes no difference to the eM Client closing problem, then (if you haven’t already), try next uninstalling and reinstalling eM Client.

Note:- When you uninstall eM Client “don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard

Once uninstalled you can redownload the same or later version of eM Client to reinstall from the release history page.

Thanks for the reply.
As this only happens randomly a couple of time on week basis, I am not going to do the troubleshooting as suggested.
Understand eM Client is not going to fix this, which could be a fairly easy to implement when starting eM Client.

Happens again, and this time I was able to repeat this bug!
1: Open EmClient
2: Open an attached PDF file attached to a new IMAP mail, using Foxit viewer
3: Close the PDF viewer
4: Close EmClient
5: EmClient is now hanging, and must be closed from the Task Manager.
Have a ‘MailClient.DMP’ if this could be of help.
Hopping this hint will fix this in the next version.

martes 11 abril 2023 :: 1740hrs (UTC +0100)

In my opinion you are expecting a lot when you state you are not prepared to carry out the procedure to help yourself, suggested by @cyberzork, in an attempt to identify and resolve your issue.

I do not understand this

Clearly as you have identified the issue is being caused by 3rd party software you should contact “Foxit Viewer” and ask them to ensure and or confirm that their software is compatible with eMC, unless of course it is being caused by the way that you implement usage.

You did not confirm your OS or the version of eMC in use.

¡Buena suerte

skybat

¡Los mejores deseos desde Sevilla y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

No - the issue is an EmClient issue lounging an external program, and not a Foxit problem!
I’am not aware EmClient has an internal PDF viewer!
Anyway EmClient should have a fullprof procedure for handling external programs issues!
*You did not confirm your OS or the version of eMC in use."
If you look at the attached picture it clearly shows it is a Windows problem!
Also a ‘MailClient.DMP’ is a Windows reporting file!
Kim

martes 11 abril 2023 :: 2103hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey @jorgensen

I note all that you say and comment as follows.

1./No - the issue is an EmClient issue lounging an external program, and not a Foxit problem!
1.1./ I disagree and I do not understand “lounging”.
1.2./ There are numerous internet posts concerning Foxit issues and possible fixes.
1.3./ I have 3 laptops with eMC in regular use and have no issues with PDF files, I use Adobe, Nuance & Kofax
2./I’am not aware EmClient has an internal PDF viewer!
2,1./ Correct, however, you do need to associate your PDF reader with eMC; have you done this?
3./ Anyway EmClient should have a foolproof procedure for handling external programs issues!
3.1./ Simply not practical - if 3rd party software is to work with eMC it is the 3rd party responsibility.
4./You did not confirm your OS or the version of eMC in use.
4.1./ You did not clearly state Win10, Win11 or other version and you did not say version of eMC
5./ You state you are not prepared to troubleshoot as suggested by @cyberzork
6./ Neither @cyberzork or I can guess what is your issue; I am not and I assume nor is he clairvoyant.
7./ If you do really want help you will need to start by helping yourself.

I can not help more without your assistance, maybe someone else can.
You should also remember this Forum is a “help” facility maintained by those who have no association with eMC other than being users who give their time freely.
If you are not satisfied with this raise a ticket with support.

¡Buena suerte

skybat

¡Los mejores deseos desde Sevilla y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

3 Likes

I completely disagree with your statements.
So for now, I do not open attached PDF files, but instead save the attachment and open it outside of EmClient.