Emails in the trash are automatically deleted after 2 weeks

Hi,

I have a customer who just switched from Windows Live Mail to eM Client and she loves it, however, items in her trash bin is deleted after 2 weeks automatically. When she was using Windows Live Mail, the emails would stayed in her trash bin as long as she doesn’t empty it by herself.

I tried looking into settings but can’t find any options to configure this behavior except for the automatic archiving (which isn’t what I am looking for…)

Thank you

Mickael

To my knowledge, eM Client does not delete anything without user input.  The only option for trash that I am aware of is to empty (or not empty) trash on program exit.  The behavior you describe is most likely the result of your email provider.

Hi Jay,

Yes that was what I was thinking of until she told me with Windows Live Mail she didn’t have that problem… She didn’t change her email provider recently too… Can I see some logs regarding emails that are being deleted?

Thank you

Mickael

Hmm, looked in logs, couldn’t really find any delete activity (note:  I am just a user, not an eM Client employee).

Is this a Microsoft account (e.g., Hotmail, Outlook.com)?  Maybe they act differently with 3rd party clients as opposed to WLM.

Thanks Jay, I told my customer to just create an Archives folder and put her emails there instead of the trash bin.

Thanks for your help Jay

Mickael

Windows Live mail most likely connected as a pop3 account, so your trash emails were being downloaded off the server.  Once you switched to Emclient I suspect it setup as an IMAP and so any setting deleting the email from the server are now applying.  You should be able to right click on her trash folder, go to properties, then click the offline tab and select download for offline use.

Not sure if this is the same problem, but I have just started trying this email program. I found that if you delete mail from within emclient, the email is moved to trash ok. But if you delete from another device, say your phone, then the email in emclient disappears. Ie it is removed from the imap inbox, and does not arrive in the Trash folder, even after refresh. However, if you right click on Trash, and choose Repair, then it updates the folder, and the deleted email arrives.

I am going to log this as a fault, but thought it may help you to identify the problem with your client.
Grant

Hello Grant,

What email provider are you using? I just tried to reproduce the issue on a Gmail account and newest version and everything works smoothly. Please try updating to the newest version .30646 at http://www.emclient.com/release-history and let me know if the issue continues.

With regards,
Russel Markosky
eM Client

Hi Russel, Thanks for following up. I continued testing after posting this, and found when I unticked “Automatically detect special folder names” in the Accounts, Special Folders section, after that, it started working ok. 

I left the same names in there, including Trash is still called Trash. The only strange thing I remember, when I first installed emclient and migrated Outlook settings, I remember seeing two Trash folders in the IMAP folder area. One was under Inbox, and another was under the IMAP root folder, where the others are, Draft, Sent etc. So I deleted the odd one under Inbox. I don’t know if that has caused something weird, or how to tell, or not to worry any more. It might help if we know what the “Automatically detect special folder names” option is doing.

If it is too hard, I don’t mind leaving it how it is, since it is working. I have a couple more different queries which I will post, and then will decide to buy the Pro version.

Regards
Grant

Actually yes, this might cause your issue. It is because different providers use different folder names and this option lets you set manually the folders that are not automatically detected. By deleting of the folder it still saves the mail in your trash folder but this one is no more displayed in your eM Client.

Russel Markosky
eM Client