Emails being moved into junk automatically

Hi,

so, I’m a bit upset, to say the least.

I’ve just spent 10min on searching for an email in eM Client that I received a week ago, a 3-email thread with my dad. And I needed to look up info that we exchanged in that thread. I keep all important emails that I receive, move them from the inbox folders into a local directory within eM Client once the thread is “finished”, and those that I send get attached to the history of the thread so I don’t need to save them separately. I have three email addresses separating private and work life. There are two private ones which link to the same mailbox, but I need to set up both because otherwise I can only send with one of them.

The first “feature” of eM Client is that I cannot switch off the reception for one of these two email addresses, so every mail I receive on that account (e.g. those with my dad) I receive twice and have to delete one of them. That’s annoying, but bearable. Please let me know if I can switch off only the receiving function but keep the sending function for one of those email addresses, I couldn’t find it in the preferences.

The second and currently really upsetting “feature” is that emails apparently get reorganized after the email thread was done. As said, I exchanged 3 emails with my dad, and he gave me some important information on something. I wanted to look this up now, only to find that the whole email thread was moved to junk trash (where it will be deleted automatically after some period of time). I never moved it there, eM Client did. And this is probably also the cause for 2 other emails that I “lost” in the last couple of months, again, with important information. That’s why I noticed it, because I was looking up that info.

Is there a way to switch this off? Maybe I missed this option as well somewhere… If there’s no way to turn it off, I’m afraid, I’ll scrap this program and get some other email client, because this is totally unacceptable! There’s a reason why I move some emails to the local folder. I don’t want to have the feeling that there is some “clever algorithm” that believes having to correct the “stupid user”, because the user apparently cannot tell themselves what is important and what is junk… It happend 3 times now in 1/2 year; well, 3 times where I searched for that info and thus I noticed it! Probably it happens all the f-ing time.

Thank you for suggestions,
c.

Was it moved to Junk or Trash? These are two different folders.

Trash is the bin where messages go when you delete them.

Junk E-mail is where spam messages go, either moved there by your server, or because you have Blacklisted the sender. This will happen when the account syncs with the server, so won’t happen later on after you have already received the messages.

It was moved to the junk folder. The trash folder is not emptied automatically in my setup.

Messages you have already read in your Inbox, or replied to, will not be moved to Junk. At least not by eM Client. Maybe it is another device connecting to the same account.

Well, I read thoes emails, I replied to them, 2 weeks later I now searched for them and found them in the junk folder. I only use eM client and nothing else to read or write emails.

eM Client won’t move messages to Junk that you have already read, on its own. It certainly won’t move sent messages.

Either you later marked that individual message as junk, or it is being done by another device, or it is being done by your server, or you moved the message there yourself.

But if this is with new unread messages, and they are being moved to Junk when the application syncs them from the server, then it really depends on what is moving the messages to Junk to begin with.

Normally, it is your server, so you will need to login to their webmail interface, select the message in spam, and mark it as not spam. Thereafter the server should always leave messages from that sender in the Inbox.

But it can also be caused by eM Client moving the messages if you have previously blacklisted the sender or their domain. If that is the case, go to Menu > Settings > Mail > Privacy > Blacklist > Manage Blacklist. See if the sender’s address or domain is in the list and remove it.

1 Like

I have the same issue as the original poster.

More often than not, good emails end up in the JUNK folder. I have to move them back to the INBOX and also select “remove blacklist email.”

The junk filter is not the best on eMClient and I don’t know whether to blame the client itself or the server.

However, as much as I love eMClient, one of the biggest losses of moving to it from Apple Mail was SpamSieve. SpamSieve is a third-party plug-in for Apple Mail. It works incredibly well in that it allows the user to train GOOD and SPAM email. SpamSieve learns from this training every time you mark a message GOOD or SPAM and after a short period of time, your Junk box will never get a good message thrown to it again. It’s a highly efficient plug-in that’s compatible with a few Mac email clients.

I don’t work for SpamSieve, but I have talked to the author and he’s always willing to work with new email clients to integrate his plug-in for a better user experience. Perhaps the developers here will reach out and see if some sort of collaboration is possible.

I’m just not completely happy with the spam filtering on eMClient. It’s good, but I can see myself having to buy a SpamFilter program down the road (such as MailWasher).

Please see my description above of how messages can be moved to Junk. If it is eM Client that moves it, that is only because you have specifically Blacklisted that sender or their domain yourself. If you are not happy with eM Client moving messages to Junk, don’t blanklist the sender. :wink:

I have never, ever blacklisted good mail.

So, if it’s the server doing that, so be it.

Personally, I am going to have to look for a third-party addition to eMClient that will train messages without having to do it on the server side. It’s a pain in the neck to have to log into Google, go to their spam folder, and mark the message as good. It would be nice just to be able to do that from the email client and that is where a third-party app like SpamSieve or MailWasher would come in handy. Mailwasher seems to be more external so it would involve an extra step outside of the email client.

Not blaming eMClient for this. Any email program would act the same way if the doing is on the server end.

Thank you for the response, Gary!

I am having similar problems. Emails from people that are in my contacts list and I have been receiving emails from them for years are now routinely going in my junk/spam folder. I only use emClient on my desktop and rarely use my phone to read emails (Spark at the moment). I can’t remember the last time I opened Gmail web to read an email.

Yesterday I found another in the Junk folder, did Right Click, move to Inbox and remove sender from Black list…10 seconds later it popped right back into the spam folder.

Unfortunately, that’s not true, Gary. It happens to me frequently even if I create rules to put the specific emails in the inbox and designate them as “not junk” messages from white listed senders will end up there even after I read them in the inbox. It only happens with mail from “Gmail” accounts though.

eM Client Rules only apply automatically to new unread messages in your Inbox. You can’t create one to move messages from Junk to Inbox.

That most likely means you have added the gmail domain to your Blacklist. Go to Menu > Settings > Mail > Privacy > Blacklist > Manage Blacklist and remove it.