Emails automatically shown as read

Hi,

The past few days when i’ve been opening my emails, i’ve noticed the majority of my emails are already set as “read” even though i haven’t opened the app or read any of my emails. e.g. i’ll have 50 emails since i last logged in, but it will show i have 5 new emails because the rest, for some reason, have been marked as read.

How do i stop this please?

Thanks

Hi,

I would guess this is caused by interference from having your email account added via POP3 protocol somewhere else, either another device or another email application. POP3 is a different type of email protocol which downloads messages from your email server and then marks them as “read” on the server (or in some cases, deletes them after download).

Then if you’ve added your email account via IMAP protocol on eM Client (which is the default if it’s available) it will then synchronize data from your email server that all your emails have been marked as “read”.

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/102/0/what-is-the-difference-between-the-imap-and-pop

To stop this interference, you’ll need to remove the POP3 version of your email you have running somewhere else.

2 Likes

Yes this is common with multiple devices configured with the same email address no matter what type of account setup.

If this still happens and you are not reading them on any other device, change your mailbox password and update the password on all your devices, as someone may have access to your mailbox which has happened to some peeps via key loggers, malware , trojan viruses etc.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I’ve changed the password and it seems to have done the trick. As far as i was aware, the email account was not being used on any other device so i’m not sure why it was doing that. Although, it was sometimes used via webmail on a browser. Either way, i’m glad its fixed now. Thanks again.

2 Likes