Emails are appearing as read when they're not

When I open my EM Client in the morning, my unread emails are marked as read. This happens then sporadically throughout the day, making it virtually impossible to stay on top of outstanding tasks. I keep missing mails that clients have sent and I work in a time critical job. I’m on POP with my phone but even unread phone mails are appearing as read on EM Client. Last week I recently had to uninstall and reinstall EM due to a bigger problem, so I know I have the most recent version. This has only started happening since that point in time. Any help will be much appreciated, It’s starting to become unworkable which is awful as I love EM! Thanks

Hi Louise,
if you check your emails on more than one device, I recommend switching to setting your account up as IMAP. POP will download your email to the first device that you check it on and mark it as read to the other devices, while IMAP would keep your read mails as such until you really open them on either device.

Best regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia, thanks for your reply. Is this a new change as I have had POP and EM for a couple of years now with no issues previously? Thanks, Louise

Hi Louise,
this is not a new change at all, it’s how these protocols are set up to work. Is it possible that you didn’t check your emails on your phone before? Or any other device?

Best regards,
Olivia

Is there any other way round this, whenever I have tried to change my POP settings previously, it ends in complete disaster!

Nope, I have always had access to my emails on my phone and check them daily

That is definitely strange. Don’t change anything yet and go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on POP logging for your account and restart eM Client. Please try to replicate the issue with the read mails and then go back to the advanced settings and send the logs to me - change recipient to [email protected] and add link to this forum topic in the body of the email.

I can’t change my POP account apparently. It’s set up for work and everyone here has a POP account. Nobody else seems to be having these issues in the office? They all check their emails on their phones but those items are not showing as read after using their phone mail?

Hi Olivia, I’ve gone into logs in the advanced settings and there is nothing about POP or IMAP in there?!

I’ve sent you the logs anyway