Email not sending...SMTP Error...

SMTP Errors…System was working fine…I run diagnostic and system says SMTP error…System fixes error but the error immediately pops back up. Email will not send…Everything sits in outbox…Identical settings on other system in office has everything working fine…Typical reboots, etc have not helped this error. Suggestions?

Send us your logs please: go to menu Tools->Settings->Advanced->Logging and check “SMTP” under the problematic account. Then restart eM Client, try to simulate the issue and send us (with reference to this topic) the logs using the same logging settings window. Thank you.

Hi, I’m having a similar problem and can provide some input here.

I use my company’s SMTP server, which requires SMTP Authentication on port 587 and no security. When trying to send email, I keep getting the pop-up box asking for username/password, even though it is entered correctly. The message I’m seeing in the logs is:

SMTP S: 220 orb.xxxxx.org ESMTP Exim 4.77 Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:36:46 +0200
SMTP C: EHLO [172.16.1.50]
SMTP S: 250-orb.xxxxx.org Hello [172.16.1.50]
SMTP S: 250-SIZE 10485760
SMTP S: 250-PIPELINING
SMTP S: 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
SMTP S: 250-STARTTLS
SMTP S: 250 HELP
SMTP C: AUTH CRAM-MD5
SMTP S: 334 PDY4MDM1LjEzNjIxNTIyMDZAb3JiLm51bGxyb3V0ZS5vcmc+
SMTP C: aW5mb0BzdXBwb3J0MTAxLmNvLnphIDQxNDg3OWRlODAwOTczZjQ0YjA5YWY0OThlYzMzMGZj
SMTP S: 535 Incorrect authentication data

I think that EMClient is sending thru the password in some sort of encrypted form, could that be correct? The server requires plain text password. In Thunderbird my SMTP settings are:

Connection Security: None
Authentication Method: Password, transmitted insecurely

I’ve set the SMTP Security Policy in EMClient to Don’t Use, but that doesn’t seem to be enough… any help appreciated. I’m using my Gmail SMTP settings in the meantime, but would need to get this working on our own server.

Hi,
sorry for the massive delay - if the problem is still actual, contact me please directly at [email protected]. Thank you.

Hello - I’ve got a similar issue. I have setup an SMTP server on my local machine that requires plaintext password and no security for authentication. I cannot find a way to properly configure eM Client like Thunderbird. Login information is correct, but eM Client continually prompts for account password and will not connect. Please advise, thx!

Hello,

can you please tell me what port for SMTP server do you use? Tools - Accounts - your account - SMTP tab.

regards
Jan

Hi John - SMTP port 25 and POP3 port 110. Both POP3 and SMTP authentication also fails. Enabling eM Client logging just creates a 0 byte empty log file, so it’s not logging for some reason. I have verified connectivity using Thunderbird. I’m using eM Client build 5.0.18379.0. Cheers

OK - so I resolved the problem on my end. Sorry for the confusion, but I had an incorrect username format. All is well! :slight_smile:

Hello,

thanks for the info :slight_smile: Just to clarify my question about ports, people sometimes try to use incompatible authentication with ports which does not support them and this issue looked like that, so if anyone will have same problem try to follow solution or my advice :slight_smile:

regards
Jan