Email Backup malfunction

After the failure of the backup program I received a message telling me to send the below error message to eM Client. Since there were no instructions as to how to send the message, I have posted it below. Please tell me how to fix this problem.

09-16-20 eM Client error message

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file ‘C:\Users\Jerome\AppData\Local\Temp\eM Client temporary files\ov0xgpyn’ because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.FileSystem.RemoveDirectoryInternal(String fullPath, Boolean topLevel, Boolean allowDirectoryNotEmpty)
at System.IO.FileSystem.RemoveDirectory(String fullPath, Boolean recursive)
at MailClient.Utils.TemporaryFilesManager.CleanDirectoryRecursive(DirectoryInfo dirInfo)
at MailClient.Utils.TemporaryFilesManager.CleanDirectoryRecursive(DirectoryInfo dirInfo)
at MailClient.Utils.TemporaryFilesManager.ClearTempDir()
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Backup(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Where to send: if you are a PRO user then create a support ticket and send it. If you are a FREE user then try sending to [email protected]… not sure how that would be handled. Support folks do monitor the forum but I have no idea at what frequency.

Back to the error… have you tried re-booting your computer and trying backup again?

Thank you for the reply. I checked the Support web site but since I am using the free version I was told to use the Groups web site to post my problem.
I have not rebooted my Pc yet. I wanted to wait until I received a response from eM Client before I did.

I hope that the picture can be seen. It is the error message I received.

That may not be a short wait…

@Jerome_Starr I would reboot your computer if you haven’t already. Failing that (If you have Windows) trying clearing your temporary files and reboot again to see if that resolved it.

To clear the temp files in Win 10 click the “Magnifying glass” at the bottom left, or for Win 7/8 click “Start / Run”, and type in the box “%temp%” and press enter. You should then see a window with a path at the top eg: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp. Next “Select all files” in the temp window and “Delete”.

Some files may not delete in this window and give you an error due to they are in use, but that’s ok. Delete everything that’s not in use and skip the rest. Finally reboot your PC and try EM Client.

Thanks for the advise. Although your instructions were clear, my display did not match with your instructions. So, I used a program called Ccleaner to clean my files. Since I have two votes to reboot, I rebooted but I will have to wait until 12:00AM to see if that fixes the problem. I’ll keep you updated.

Why you just don’t copy your whole profile folder to another drive? It will be much faster - eM Client compress backup which takes lot of time.

Update: Thank you one and all for your advise. After cleaning my files and rebooting I have had three backups performed with no error messages. Therefore I assume the mysterious problem has been fixed.

Homeap - Thank you for the suggestion. However, it left me with more questions. 1. Does the “whole profile folder” contain all the emails or only the eM Client operating program? 2. I have no idea where the “whole profile folder” is located or if it is spread out over more than one location… So, I chose option one and rebooted but again thanks for your advise.

OOPS! The problem came back to haunt me. Working on it. Any more suggestions would be helpful.