Em with hotmail?

hello, I’ve set up my em client to receive my hotmail emails. It appears what ever I do to one, happens to the other. If I delete an email, it disappears off both. I don’t want that.

I want to use em client, then occasionally go onto hotmail(outlook) and clear out emails without it clearing them out on my em client. Is that possible?

This is the way that IMAP mail works. Clients are kept in sync with the server so that what you do to one happens with the other.

To get what you want you’d need to set the connection up as POP3 and set to leave mails on the server, which will pull a copy down to EM Client and then sever the connection, so whatever you then do to the EM Client version will not happen online.

1 Like

Ok, yes I get that. But how do I do it, that option doesn’t appear to be anywhere in em account settings?

@Robbo1

You can setup POP accounts via “Menu / Accounts / Add Mail / Other”.

However Microsoft as of Oct 2022 have now started disabling basic username and password POP access which means if you have been using eM Client that way, you cannot any longer and will need to use the IMAP account as you are doing now in eM Client that uses and supports the OAuth / OAuth 2 token.

As Microsoft says it’s being done for Security reasons. Google are also doing the same.

“Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online”

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Quote from the Microsoft URL.

October 1, 2022 , we will begin disabling Basic authentication for Outlook, EWS, RPS, POP, IMAP, and EAS protocols in Exchange Online.

We’re also disabling SMTP AUTH in all tenants in which it’s not being used.

This decision requires customers to move from apps that use basic authentication to apps that use Modern authentication. Modern authentication (OAuth 2.0 token-based authorization) has many benefits and improvements that help mitigate the issues in basic authentication. For example, OAuth access tokens have a limited usable lifetime, and are specific to the applications and resources for which they are issued, so they cannot be reused. Enabling and enforcing multifactor authentication (MFA) is also simple with Modern authentication

Ok cyberzork,
If I understand you correctly, it’s pointless moving to POP, as they are beginning to phase it’s use out? So be grateful for what I have got.

I much prefer the interface and user experience of em client and am not sure of free outlook storage capacity. The idea of using POP, was that I could use both outlook and em as separate filing systems. Suppose I’ll have to stay tidy and stop hanging onto old info and emails on the off chance I may need it at some later date…

Regards,
Robbo

Yes i wouldn’t go back to POP as most mailbox providers are phasing it out due to security reasons, and i suspect in the near distant future will be gone so best to stick with IMAP, Exchange or iCloud mailboxes. I personally changed from POP accounts more than 10 years ago and never looked back.

Microsoft generally give you 15GB free space and then you pay for extra space after that if you need it which is not expensive. Eg: Where i am in the world, Microsoft One Drive for 100GB of space including email, photos, documents etc is currently $3 p/m. So less than a cuppa coffee.

So, I think we are all in agreement then. Time I caught up with the rest of the technical world and also got my hand in my pocket… and paid for something. Then maybe I can relax… (:-i)

1 Like

Not all the email providers are trying to phase out POP3, at this point it has only been the large email providers, Microsoft and Google, the duopoly trying to do so. I suspect more people will be forced away from POP when the smaller email providers decide to drop their own operations and use Microsoft or Google for their email hosting.

POP is not being phased out due to security reasons, it is because they are pushing towards using OAuth2 as their authentication method, and don’t really want to support OAuth for POP. Using OAuth MFA only really provides a few extra features over the old method, so this whole MFA being secure and the old method being insecure is way over blown, and mostly wrong.

Users should have a choice if they want to use POP3 and not be forced into using something they don’t want to. POP3 has an advantage where it allows you to keep all your email in the local email client and off the server, and some people like that option. I would recommended that users consider moving away from providers that just remove features they are using and use a provider that offers what they want.

1 Like

Not all the email providers are trying to phase out POP3, at this point it has only been the large email providers,

I find that pretty much all my local country small and large ISPs for personal and business use now are “only pushing IMAP or Exchange” mailboxes and also have discouraged POP accounts for years now just like larger global mail providors.

Users should have a choice if they want to use POP3 and not be forced into using something they don’t want to.

Yes agree users should have a choice.

POP3 has an advantage where it allows you to keep all your email in the local email client and off the server, and some people like that option

You can setup a Rule to copy inbox email from any IMAP, Exchange or iCloud account to the equivalent account inbox in eM Client local folders to keep a copy of the email off the server.

Also create any other account parent or sub account folders in Local folders to copy IMAP, Exchange or iCloud mail to keep locally.

1 Like

Good suggestion on using a eM Client rule to mimic how POP works when it comes to making a copy to local folders and then removing it from the server. I guess that is one way to do it using IMAP I didn’t consider.

Don’t get me wrong, I think IMAP is the better choice over POP for many reasons. The main point I wanted to get across was that basic authentication (not MFA) and POP are not insecure and can be secure if you use a unique, not easy to guess password for your account and SSL/TLS for the POPS connection. It seems Google and Microsoft are making a bigger deal then what is true about basic authentication being insecure. Admittedly basic authentication does allow itself to be more insecure if not setup correctly, where MFA enforces best practices (for example forcing encryption and unique token passwords).

It seems most of the small and large ISPs are getting away from offering the email services themselves since it is so difficult to do correctly, and just reselling Exchange Online or GMail services. If they run their own emails servers and are using Exchange then I could see them pushing more use of ActiveSync (mobile) and MAPI (desktop) as their main connection methods. Any provider that runs their own email servers and are not using a cloud server to resell or Exchange on-premises , I suspect will offer IMAP and POP based protocols.

1 Like