eM Clients deletes mails after 2 weeks automaticly

Hello,
I’m using eM Client a few weeks now with version 6.0.21040.0.
I’m using gmx with IMAP and it works fine and I can get the Mails on my other PC too.
Now I noticed that it seems that the client automaticly deletes every mail older then 2 weeks. Not only in the Client but also on my Server.
Where can i change this? Didnt found anything in the preferences.
I would like to get the mails, let them on the Server and on my PC as long as I’m not deleting them on the client. When I delete them on the client then they should get deleted from the server too.

On my other PC this works fine (not eM Client). I also checked at gmx if there is a option that deletes them after 2 weeks but its not. Also i didnt recognise this before using eM Client, so I’m pretty sure the eM Clients deletes them.

What can I do to fix this? 

Thanks,
Sven

(sry for my english :D)

Hi, are you using a POP3 account or an IMAP account? In case you’re using a POP3 account, just navigate to Tools > Accounts > Your account > POP3 and adjust the server settings based on your preferences.

Unfortunately this is the default setting for POP accounts as most POP only accounts only offer a limited space for your mailbox.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hey, as i wrote above I’m using IMAP.
But the strange thing is when i go to gmx in the browser, they say i need a pro version for IMAP to work but it works never the less…
And it obviously works because of I’m getting my mails to both PC’s.
And the problem started with the eM Client… before i used only the Mail from my MacBook and it worked fine with the gmx and IMAP

Hi again, is it possible this may be causing the issue?
Can you check for your POP server settings online, and possibly try to change the settings.

As I suggested earlier, eM Client can’t delete existing email automatically on IMAP.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Sven,

Can it be that you’re automatically ‘archiving’ e-mails after 2 weeks?

tools > settings > mail > automatic archiving

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem, also using an IMAP account. I have auto archiving settings off. Anything older than 2 week is gone? 

Hi Kat, are you absolutely sure this occurs on an IMAP account? Are you seeing any errors thrown by the application, if so can you please make a screenshot of the error and submit it to us here on the forum?

What mail service are you using with eM Client that you’re having issues with? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact version number in Help > About?

Are your messages still available on the mail server if you login using your webmail?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I’m absolutely sure this occurs on an IMAP account. I am not seeing any errors appear anywhere.

I am using my IP’s service for my mail. eM Client version 6.0.21372.0

Messages are still available on my webserver.

Another weird thing is it’s only my eM Client Inbox that is affected. Sent and trash emails are still all there.

Cheers

Kat 

Hi again, I’m unfortunately unable to replicate this issue, if the issue persists and you’re able to replicate the issue using eM Client, can you please try to update your eM Client to this release, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.22065/setup.msi and check if the issue persists?

If the issue continues to occur, please enable IMAP logging in the application’s settings, navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP logging for the problematic account,

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    once the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logging data to me at [email protected], also please include a reference link to this forum topic.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. Now it’s deleting emails after 1 week. I’m not impressed at all as I have lost work emails. I had added a hotmail account and this problem didn’t affect it at all. All the emails stayed in my inbox. 

All my other folders aren’t affected, it’s only my inbox. I Have now resorted to transferring everything over into a new folder. 

I have turned on the IMAP logging, I’m confused though…in your reply above you have noted 3 points.

1. Save the settings (done)
  2. Restart the application. (done)
  3. Replicate the issue…how can I replicate the issue? When there is nothing to replicate? The emails are gone. 

Scrolling through this forum I notice there are others with the same problem. Seems like it’s a program problem and it also seems no one is actually fixing it. 

I really like this program but if this isn’t sorted out, I’m gone. I can’t be losing all my  work emails. 

Kind regards

Kat 

Hi again, please send us the logging data when you notice some of your emails were again deleted.
I’m unfortunately unable to reproduce this issue using our installations of eM Client as the application does not include a feature that would delete your email after X days, except the archiving option which would remove the messages from your server and move them into local folders.

As I previously suggested, this can occur in case your mail server is using server settings that remove the messages after X days, which you should be able to disable in your account settings when logging into the webmail application.

Also if this was the case, the messages would be removed from the server even if you’ve disabled the use of eM Client.

Can you also please make a screenshot of your account settings from Tools > Accounts > Your account > General/IMAP/POP/SMTP settings tabs?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I’ve contacted my ISP and had a chat with them about this issue I’m experiencing. It is to do with it being an IMAP account, if it was a POP account I wouldn’t be going through it. I could not see anyway to change it from IMAP to POP. It has done my head in with the continual loss of emails, so I have actually uninstalled the program and switched to a different email client. I don’t have the time to mess about with email programs that delete all my important work emails. 

Shame as your program is pretty good…apart from this.

Thanks for all your advice.

Kind regards

Kat 

Hello, I got the same problem here, and thought it was a server problem. Exactly after 2 weeks after my initial setup (no auto-archiving set). I hope not to have this issue again, now I’m doing daily backups to avoid loss, as Kat said we can’t reproduce the issue but I’ll make you know if it will do the same on 21 or 28 march (after a week or two).

ps. Is it possible to view a changelog and the different latest installer versions? maybe when we find an issue there is something that has been already fixed so that we could check before asking… it would be great to be able to look at http://www.emclient.com/dist/ folder too :wink:

thanks

Hi, you can check the change-log here on this page, http://www.emclient.com/release-history , however only public releases are listed and it is not possible to search through the distribution folder on our website, this is due to privacy preferences, users can’t be allowed to view the content of the folder.

Internal releases are pushed manually to users based on an existing issue or setup.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have uninstalled eM Client… I have gone back to using my previous email client. There is something seriously wrong with your product for it to behave in the way it does.  I just cannot risk losing anymore data.

Thank you for all your time and assistance.

Kind regards

Kat

Hi Kat, I’m sorry to see this, however I don’t believe this behavior is due to the application, if the issue persists while using other applications and decide to come back to eM Client, let us know, we’ll be happy to help you resolve any other issues or questions about the application that you might come across.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I’m sorry too as I really liked this program. If there was some way to change it from an IMAP account to a POP account I’d use it again. This is where the problem lies…IMAP will delete mail whereas using a POP account won’t. If you can offer me that I’ll use it again.

You have been most helpful, the assistance I’ve been offered has been second to none. Thank you! 

Kind regards

Kat

Hi again Kat, I can’t confirm that IMAP would be deleting your messages, as this is the exact opposite of what the IMAP protocol was designed for. However if you want to use your account as POP, you can simply setup the account as POP in eM Client.

Navigate to Tools > Accounts > New account and instead of using the automatic setup, switch to the Mail tab below and select ‘Other’, proceed with the steps and setup your account using the recommended POP3 settings.

After you finish you can remove your IMAP account and use your account using the POP3 protocol instead, eM Client supports both.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks Paul, the release history is up to version 21372. I found the link of version 22065 in a post and updated to that version… It would be great to be beta testers or nightly versions users :slight_smile: I would be very happy even to look at the earliest version changelog without downloading anything :wink:

Thank you

Unfortunately it is not possible to grant you access to all the internal releases. Testing of updates is being done using our in-house testers and our developers, beta versions for public testings are only being released for major releases of eM Client.

Regards,
Paul