eM Client often crashes - KB5012418, KB5012416?

From yesterday eM client crash very often.

For example when I: open link in mail, switch to another mail folder, delete e-mail.

It is flustrating. Problem mabye was occurs after Windows install update for .NET - KB5012418, KB5012416.

Try uninstalling one or the other of these at a time and see if the issue resolves, and if so report back?

1 Like

Problem mabye was occurs after Windows install update for .NET - KB5012418, KB5012416

What version of Windows is this ?

Windows 11 Pro 21H2 22000.556

I can’t because wusa /uninstall /kb:5012418 return, that this update is not installed and the second update is the same result. But I see those updates in Windows Update History…

This seems like the Windows 11 bug with UI automation, which Microsoft are aware of.

You can try eM Client in Windows 8 Compatibility mode, which bypasses that part of Windows 11, and see if there is any difference.

• To do that, on the Windows Start Menu, find the eM Client entry and by right-click choose Open File Location.
  • In the window that opens, right-click on the eM Client shortcut and choose Properties.
  • In the window that opens, choose the Compatibility tab.
  • Then select “Run this program in compatibility mode for”
  • Select Windows 8 and click on OK.
  • Now open eM Client using that Start Menu entry you just edited.
1 Like

It look, that works and the problem is with bug UI automation…

If will problem occurs again, I will send other information.

Thank you for help

Now eM client crash again, so this compatibility mode doesn’t work… ;-(

Having the same issue have tried compatibility mode, downgraded the eM client to ver 8 and back. In my case, it started all of a sudden two weeks ago, have the same updates installed but my issues started before they were installed.

I got solution for me from the support and it seems, that works.

1. On the Windows taskbar, right-click the Windows icon and select System.

2. In the Settings window, under Related Settings, click Advanced system settings. Or type Advanced System Settings in the search box.

3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.

4. In the System Variable window find these two entries and delete them: DOTNET_TieredPGO and DOTNET_TC_QuickJitForLoops.

5. After deleting the environment variable, click Apply and then OK to have the change take effect.

3 Likes

@pavel.stusek

Great you got the problem sorted out :slightly_smiling_face:

1. In the System Variable window find these two entries and delete them: DOTNET_TieredPGO and DOTNET_TC_QuickJitForLoops.

Ah Interesting those two files above “do not exist” on either of my new “Win 10 or 11 Home stock (21H2)” builds just installed clean in the last week on my new custom PC and Laptop. Sounds like Microsoft have removed those two files already out of the latest os download builds.

I’ve checked for updates tnite on both the PC and Laptop and no more updates available on either.

I also don’t have to run in Win 8 compatibility mode either and eM Client 9.0.1708 works perfectly.

I suspect any issues will also go away with (22H2) where Microsoft have fixed the Windows 11 bug with UI automation as @Gary advised which only currently affects some Win 11 pc’s.

The new MS OS build is due out to the public in the Fall (October 2022).

If those two values don’t exist (normal) then you do not have the issue.

It is only when something has added them (abnormal), that the issue happens.

1 Like

in my case both entries were hidden in the User Variable window for the current user instead of the System Variables (which can be found directly above the System Variable window); after deleting restarting eM Client should be enough

1 Like

@DerMichel

Variable window for the current user instead of the System Variables (which can be found directly above the System Variable window)

Ok thanks for that info :+1: