eM Client doesn't save correct mailbox.org credentials

I have an account with mailbox.org.
Whenever I change the password for that account, eM Client gets an authorization error.
It looks like eM sends the wrong credentials out.
The only way to solve it is to delete the account and add it back. But, unfortunately, that will only work until the next time I change the password.

Do you setup your account via the automatic email wizard or manual setup ? Also what type of account is it eg: IMAP, Exchange, POP.

I set it up using the automatic wizard. The account is IMAP.

Ok if your mail server has an OAuth token where you eg: (press allow / accept) in a browser at the end of the automatic wizard, you don’t then normally have to re-enter a password if you change passwords in your mailbox online. eM Client will just work automatically.

If you didn’t initially get asked to allow via OAuth token when you first ran the automatic wizard, that usually means your server doesn’t support OAuth token login, and is only using a username and password login atm. So if you then change your password online, you will allways have to then manually enter your new password in eM Client.

To manually enter your new password in eM Client (after changing your mailbox password online), go to “Menu / Accounts” and click the “IMAP tab” at the top of your mail account and enter the new password part way down. Then save and close accounts. You won’t need to re-run the automatic wizard again.

Did you get asked to allow access to your mailbox at the end of the automatic wizard?

It’s not OAuth.
The point is that eM still sends the old credentials AFTER saving the new password.

The full scenario is as follows:

1. I change the password in mailbox.org
  2. eM client prompts me to change the password, so I do that. Or, I change it proactively (before the prompt)
  3. The client keeps prompting for the password over and over. No matter how many times I try to type the new password.

To solve that, I remove the account completely and then I add it back.

Could then be you might have a eg: local program installed on your computer monitoring saved usernames and passwords in the background running and is then not allowing updating / overwriting the old password properly in eM Client (when you manually enter it) unless you remove and re-add your whole / entire email account as you said.

Some programs that can interfere with mail client passwords saving properly are eg: Antivirus programs, Firewall / Security programs, Password managers etc.

So if you have any optional programs like those installed, try completely disabling those and then change your password online and then see if eM Client will save the new password without removing and re-adding the whole account.

Other than that, you might have a problem with eM Client installation in the program somewhere and you might just need to uninstall and reinstall the program. If you try uninstalling and reinstalling, “don’t delete the database” when asked on uninstall.

Lastly if uninstalling and reinstalling the program makes no difference and don’t have any optional programs that could be interfering running, then you might have an older version that needs updating. You can get all the latest versions of eM Client from the release history page.

What version of eM Client do you have ?

I’m on the latest version (I just checked).
It’s 9.1.2109 (9967b93)

Ok. There is a brand new update Version 9.2.1222 just released on the release history page for Windows and Mac. Try that version too.

Note: Before upgrading backup eM Client via the “Menu / Backup” option. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

OK, let me see. I will update you if that changes anything.
Thank you.