eM Client crashes when adding tags

With the latest update, eM Client is crashing everytime create a new tag (new, save, etc) and then apply the tag to an email. On applying the new tag to an email I get the beachball of death and have to force quit the application.

I am on mac os. 14.1.2 (23B92)
eM Client version: 9.2.2202 (3419015)

Logs have been sent.

Kind regards,
Charles

Is this with creating Local Tags ?

I am having the same issue

1 Like

Yes, tags were created in eM Client. Via Tools\tags then + add.

Tags can usually be created. Applying them to an email crashes the client most of the time. I also have to reload my dock afterwards.

Office365 emails no longer replicate properly. I have a gap now between Dec. 28 and today. Why I don’t know.

Other email clients (Apple Mail and webmail) are working properly, I can see all emails there.

eM Client is now unfortunately not usable so this is quite urgent. You do have probably the best all round email client & calendar combo.

@birgli

With the latest update, eM Client is crashing every time create a new tag (new, save, etc) and then apply the tag to an email. On applying the new tag to an email I get the beachball of death and have to force quit the application.

Yes, tags were created in eM Client. Via Tools\tags then + add.
Tags can usually be created. Applying them to an email crashes the client most of the time. I also have to reload my dock afterwards.

Ok i don’t get that crashing problem creating Local tags or Applying tags to emails with the latest V9.2.2202 on Sonoma 14.2.1 .

If you say the problem has only happened with the new upgrade, sounds like then either something went wrong when the program installation updated, or something has gone wrong with your actual mail database.

So first thing i would do “to test if its a mail database problem”, is close eM Client and rename your current eM Client hidden database folder and then reopen eM Client and setup your account as new. If that then fixes the Tags crashing problem, then you just go with the new mail database. If you have an IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account then you won’t loose anything as all your messages etc are server based and not local.

To access & rename the hidden database folder, “go to your Mac desktop” and then “click the Go menu” along the top. Then “hold down the Option key” and while holding, click the “Library” menu that appears. Then click the “Application Support” folder, and you will see the eM Client folder. You can then rename it to eg: eM Client-V9.2.2202

(eM Client hidden database folder Mac)

“Users\yourusername\Library\Application Support\eM Client”

However if creating a new database folder doesn’t fix it, then “delete the new eM Client hidden database folder” and uninstall eM Client and then download the previous eM Client version you had before from the version history page. Then reinstall and either setup as new and see if it then works ok. Or if you have a previous eM Client backup “from that same older version” that was working ok with Tags, then restore that via “File / Restore”. All your emails since the restore point will update when eM Client next syncs if you have an eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account.

Now if the previously eM Client version works ok and no crashing when creating or applying Tags, then make a backup via “File / Backup”. You can see when the backup is completed in Show Operations via clicking the dropdown on the right of Refresh top left.

Then once backed up, then try upgrading again to the latest eM Client Mac version.

Hello,
Well I did a complete test. In fact I went a bit further. I deleted eM Client (using AppCleaner) to clear all traces. Rebooted my mac and reinstalled from scratch. I setup my Office365 account and logged in - so a completely new data file.

From there I created a new local tag and the client crashed. It also killed my dock which had to be reactivated in system settings (I have it on autohide).

I tested creating a tag on Office365 instead of local with the same result. Client crashes and dock gets killed.

There is therefore an issue in the latest emClient build for Mac OSX (9.2.2202 (3419015)). This is my main mail account and I have 1 other critical Office365 account (as well as about 6 others).

This is a critical usability issue. I hope a solution can be found quickly. Other email clients are not as robust.

Kind regards,
Charles

Well I did a complete test. In fact I went a bit further. I deleted eM Client (using AppCleaner) to clear all traces. Rebooted my mac and reinstalled from scratch. I setup my Office365 account and logged in - so a completely new data file.

From there I created a new local tag and the client crashed. It also killed my dock which had to be reactivated in system settings (I have it on autohide).

Did you then try reinstalling the old version “you had previously prior to the upgrade” with either a new database or a restored eM Client backup on the old version if you had one prior to the latest upgrade ?

There are some issues with 9.2.2202 that were investigated following user reports here on the forum and through the Helpdesk. Our developers have worked to resolve them, and a new version is currently being tested before it will be made available.

1 Like

No I did not try to restore the old version. I’ve confirmed that there are issues with the new one. I’ve in the meantime reloaded some old data to the current version but am not going to try adding tags until a less buggy version comes out.

Thank you Gary. Much appreciated and look forward to a new stable build.