eM Client Crashes -- Error Message: "eM Client has stopped working"

PROBLEM: For the past several days, I’ve been unable to open eM Client to view my e-mails.

DESCRIPTION: Here’s what happens when I open this app:

1. 1st Message Window: “eM Client was not closed correctly last time. To ensure that data is safe, several checks need to be performed,” Two diagnostics are then performed: “Checking for Corrupted Database” , followed by “Checking for Inconsistent Database”. Both these diagnostics PASS with green checks.

2. eM Client then briefly starts, followed by a CRASH.

3. 2nd Message Window: “eM Client has stopped working. An error has occurred in the application that prevents it from continuing. The application will terminate.”

PLEASE NOTE:

• To the best of my knowledge, I have made NO recent alternations in software or hardware that would account for this incident.:

• I’m running the app on Windows 10 (64-bit)

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS::

• I uninstalled eM Client and reinstalled several older versions of the app. In doing so I did NOT dispense with my old e-mail database. FAIL…

• An eM Client service representative sent me a link to the latest version of the app.(emclient-v9.2.1735.msi). It was installed. It gave me the option of repairing the app, which I chose. FAIL…

WHAT NOW???

Please advise.

Thanks.

[email protected]

P.S. I was provided with an Error Detail that – due to its extreme length – cannot be appended here. It could be provided as a PDF attachment to an e-mail upon request.

2privatus.

The problem was probably caused by leaving eM Client open when you shutdown or rebooted your computer. I would recommend closing eM Client prior to any reboots or shutdowns to make sure it closes eM Client properly.

A possible fix would be to close eM Client, and then paste this into a command line prompt:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe” /dbrepair

That will attempt to repair the database. Once it is done, open eM Client and see if it works.

If that doesn’t work have you tried installing with clean databases (not use the old databases that got corrupted)? You can just re-add your account and it should have access to all the server data.

1 Like

lancealot,

I tired your suggestion. FAIL.

As noted in my initial posting, my database is NOT corrupted – at least if the diagnostic checks the app performs prior to trying – and failing – to open eM Client are accurate.

The problem appears (?) to be with (the version of) the app itself,

I really DON"T want to dispense with my old database, as (I take that it) contains my old e-mails, which I wish to retain.

Thanks for your suggestion…

[email protected]

I agree with @lancealot that the database does still does appear to be damaged in some way.

What I would do for a test is to eg: “rename” your current database folder and then see if eM Client will open with a brand new database / setup and work correctly.

If you have Windows go to the following hidden roaming folder below and rename eM Client to eg: “eM Client-old”.

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\eM Client

Then open eM Client and the automatic email wizard should appear. If you have an IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account, then setup as new and see if you still experience the same problems.

The other alt is to “skip the automatic wizard setup” after opening and if you have been doing regular backups of eM Client prior to this issue, you can restore that via “Menu / File / Restore”.

Same problem for me already for a few months.there it becomes more frequent. It’s really boring

1 Like

cyberzork,

It worked! Thank you!!!

Remaining problems:

1. How do I “un-corrupt” my seemingly corrupted old database (which eM Client’s diagnostics have proclaimed – repeatedly – to be un-corrupted in the first place)?

2. When said database is redeemed, how can it then be re-integrated with my new database so I can have access to my prior e-mails?

Here’s hoping you – or others – can provide guidance on these matters,

[email protected]
(my primary e-mail address, now easily accessible thanks to this fix)

@2privatus

It worked! Thank you!!!

Good that a new database worked, which appears there definitely was a problem with the old one.

. How do I “un-corrupt” my seemingly corrupted old database (which eM Client’s diagnostics have proclaimed – repeatedly – to be un-corrupted in the first place)?

Normally the manual eM Client database repair option will fix that as @lancealot advised.

Sry I cannot be of any further help as that’s beyond my skill lvl.

There may be more advanced specific database repair programs out on the internet that can. I believe it’s an SQL type database. If you do try other repair programs copy your old original database first so you don’t risk damaging it further

The only thing I can suggest for future is regularly backup eM Client either manually via “Menu / Backup” or do automatic periodic backups via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup”. You can then easily restore anytime.