After updating to 8.1 (even now latest 8.1.979) it crashed on start. Only way to fix it is by deinstalling completely and installing older version (8.0.3499):
eM Client has stopped working
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MailClient.exe
Application Version: 8.1.979.0
Application Timestamp: 5f6b3846
Fault Module Name: coreclr.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.700.20.47201
Fault Module Timestamp: 5f6a7be1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001b135d
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1043
Additional Information 1: 5e5c
Additional Information 2: 5e5c97a1efb029497d703d186def04fe
Additional Information 3: 76ab
Additional Information 4: 76ab704aeb0b8d6505e54e5717ab2e0c
Read our privacy statement online:
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
What happens if you make a backup using Menu > Backup, then close eM Client, delete the database directory, restart eM Client and setup a new database?
Does 8.1.979 still crash?
I also noticed that I have a newer version of that .NET file. Maybe that is the difference.
Yes, even when completely remove em client including db’s and then installing 8.1 it crashes on start
In early testing versions of 8.1 it would not start at all after an install. I discovered that if you launch the application as Administrator it would start. Then after closing it, starting it normally after that it would solve the issue until the next install.
Then there was a solution posted on this forum about uninstalling eM Client, deleting the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder, then download and again installing the latest version from the Release History. And that solved the issue of not starting, or starting with certain errors for some users.
Your error identifies a .NET component, so maybe you can check your OS is fully up to date, including .NET.
I don’t know if any of those would do anything for you, but maybe you want to try them. Otherwise, I guess you might want to just remain on 8.0.3499 for a while.