eM Client as Standard

eM Client can only be set conditionally as the standard e-mail program.
Under Windows 10/1809 17763.348, eM Client 7.2.34711 and Windows Live Mail 2012 (WLM), emails are not accepted by various apps (some examples among others, e.g. Google Earth, Canon Scanner, LibreOffice, etc.) as Standard e-mail program but still opened with WLM instead of eM Client.
Windows 10 and eM Client have all settings to use eM Client as their only e-mail standard program but somewhere is eM Client blocked.

Under WLM there is no support anymore the program is set.

But what helps is to force eM Client to install eM Client as the standard e-mail program in the correct manner during the installation process.
After completion of an installation eM Client will ask you for three (3) confirmations one of those is :
do you want to use eM Client as standard program
here is the tick to set and everything is OK.
I ask you to use this routine also when repairing eM Client only, so the program can be set as the correct default.
At present, after a repair, the action is terminated without this above query.
As a repair I understand here the re-downloading of the last valid version of eM Client over the already installed same version (e.g. from 7.2.34711 to 7.2.34711).

Thank you for any help or other workaround to solve this error easily and permanently.
Best regards
Hanns Kroker

You can set EMClient or any other Client Mailer to be the default mailer in eg: Windows 10 via the "Start / Settings / Apps / Default Apps / Email.

EMClient or any other Client Mailer cannot automatically do that for you in Windows 10. It has to be manually done by the user after the email client is installed.

You may have to change two reegitery entries in order to succesfully make eM Client the default mail program. The procedure is described in this thread: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/em-client-does-not-recognize-it-is-default-email-app-in-w…

Thank you, that is what I did already and it was not handled , WLM ist still the standard, it works only with a new install from eM Client in my case.

Ok. have a look at this forum link. - https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/em-client-does-not-recognize-it-is-default-email-app-in-w…

Thanks again , no luck, WLM is still my standard.
I’m pretty sure the problem is this old WLM program and the successful solution is here

After completion of an installation eM Client will ask you for three (3) confirmations one of those is :
do you want to use eM Client as standard program
here is the tick to set and everything is OK.

because I could work with this procedure already, and cannot kill WLM in the moment.

Over the weekend I tried again to set eM Client as default mail program, after many unsuccessful attempts the two hints of @cyberzork and @pefunk helped. Thanks to both.

The changes in the registry of Windows 10 are the trick, (see above the links)
because in version 1809 it becomes more and more difficult to assign a file type or a certain program to other applications.

Very bad Microsoft.
Problem solved

Well done getting that sorted.