eM Client and MAPI

MAPI means what?

You want to send messages from another application and use eM Client as the mail transport? If, so, yes that is possible, like when generating a message in a database application which passes the recipient and body text information to a new message window in eM Client.

1 Like

Extended MAPI is the main e-mail data access method used by Outlook, to interface to Microsoft Exchange, via MAPI service providers shipped with Outlook.

Hello Sven

Extended MAPI is a closed-source proprietary protocol by Microsoft, so we are unable to support it. So that is used in the connection between a Microsoft client and server.

Simple MAPI is used in the example I gave with the database, and that is supported in eM Client. That is passing the information from one application, into a new message compose window in eM Client.

2 Likes

OK, great.

When I send a test mail to my account, the mail appears much later in eM Client (EWS) than in Outlook (MAPI).
Hence the following question:
Which is more usable with eM Client? Simple MAPI or EWS?
Both are supported by the Hosted Exchange service at my provider.

In eM Client the EWS Inbox is synced with the server once every minute. That may account for the delay.

Simple MAPI is not a protocol used to connect to the server, it is the protocol used to pass data from another application in your OS to a new message window in eM Client. When you click on Send in the new message window, it will need to connect to your server either with EWS, or SMTP.

OK, many thanks for your information.

In the combination of Exchange Server (at my provider) and Outlook, I receive e-mail via push directly after it arrives on the server. This seems to work differently with eM Client.

Therefore, unfortunately, I will have to continue using Outlook, because with Outlook I receive the mails without delay.

If we send a single OK email from the Management software, but if we send a sequential email eM Client sends 1/2 only. We need to do some particular configuration within the customer

We possibly have a string that we can use by querying the client itself to send an email from the Management software.

I have a MacBook Pro with M1 chip, MacOS Ventura, MS Office 365.
For over 15 years I created individual serial emails with Word. For this, I had recorded the address data and individual data for each recipient, such as services rendered and invoice amounts, in Excel as a control file.
This enabled me to send individual serial emails via Outlook. (S)MAPI served as the interface between Word and Outlook.
Two weeks ago I installed the eM-Client (Pro, lifetime licence), imported the emails etc. from Outlook and deleted the Outlook app including all data. Unfortunately.
Because the MAPI interface between Word and the eM-Client does not work on my computer, although I have set up the eM-Client as the default client for emails and do not use any other app for emails.
I have contacted the VIP support of eM-Client. According to the support, I can only send serial emails with Outlook, but not with the eM-Client.
Without the (S)MAPI interface, the eM-Client is almost worthless for me and a step back to Outlook (under MacOS) is also impossible due to the lack of an export option to an OLM file.

If I understand your statements correctly, it does work. But how? Can you help me?

Yes, Marie already responded to you by email. If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please reply to her and she will assist you further.

This contradicts your statements above: There you assured that the eM-Client is (S)MAPI capable:

and

Have your statements been wrong???
I had relied on it!!!

As I said, Marie already responded to you directly by email concerning this topic. If you have any other questions regarding this, please reply to her and she will assist you further.

No, there is no contradiction. This topic is about MAPI, originally MAPI protocol, but then the discussion changed to simple MAPI which is only available on MS Windows. I don’t believe it is possible on MacOS.

Yes, Mrs. Braná replied to my request. But neither she there nor you here hit the topic!

Her reply via eMail (Vip-support?) referred to another menu-item in word then I referred to.

Your reply in this forum didn’t answer the question whether you were wrong or not when you stated that the eM-client is (S)MAPI capable or not.

Please understand: I paid for a lifetime pro license and therefore I want to be sure what’s wrong and what’s true! Spending this money I cannot give up. And in my view, the topic here shows it, that I’m not alone with the question and the requested functionality.

And what Mrs. Braná - and you - didn’t answer: how could I switch back tu Outlook as long as there’s no export functionality to an OLM-file. OLM is - to my remembrance - the only interface to import.

So, I’m totally stuck, if there’s no (S)MAPI-interface to word (preferred solution) or no export functionality to Outlook via OLM.

No, I was not wrong. eM Client is compatible with simple MAPI.

Then, please, explain to me, why the eM-Cleint doesn’t use the MAPI-interface to Word. You stated above and confirmed: “… Simple MAPI is used in the example I gave with the database, and that is supported in eM Client. That is passing the information from one application, into a new message compose window in eM Client. …”

It is the other way around. Applications that want to send messages using your installed email application can use simple MAPI to send the details to the email application. That will open a new mail compose window in eM Client (or whichever application you use to send email) with the data provided.

Yes, as I said, this is usually used by database type applications, like accounting apps, to send email. So it sends the recipient address, the subject, and the body text via simple MAPI. Then you see a compose window from the email application open with all that data inserted and all you need to do is click on Send.

1 Like

Please excuse me for having expressed myself incorrectly, my English is not very good…

MS Word works exactly the same way: it sends the email address and other data via the MAPI interface to an email client; previously it was Outlook, now it should be the eM client.
If MS Word can communicate with Outlook via the MAPI interface, why not with the eM client?

You are using a Mac, there is no simple MAPI. You will need to follow the solution that Marie gave you.

Okay, I’ll check it…

I tested the individual serial Email process the same way (Word/Excel → MAPI → eM-Client) using Windows 11 and Office 365: Same issue, it doesn’t work! It works with Outlook but not eM-Client.

I sent screenvideos to your dev-team (Mrs. Braná) to show that it isn’t working, neither with MacOS nor with Win 11!

If this is right, there’s no scenario to use eM-Client for mass (serial) emails with individual details per addressee.

Any explanation?

As I understood and tried, the mentioned ‘solution’ doesn’t fulfill the requirements: Mass (serial) emails with individual details for every addressee. With the ‘share’ function I can only share one email.
Or am I wrong?

Mail merge from MS Word doesn’t use MAPI. The software is hard-coded to interface directly with MS Outlook only.

If you have any further questions on this, please reply to Marie’s email and she will assist you.

Okay.
This is quite surprising when MS (at least in old specifications) talks about MAPI as an interface between Word and Outlook regarding Mail Merge.

And therefore means that it does not affect macOS in particular, but also Windows.

In the meantime I asked Mrs. Braná how I can switch from eM client back to Outlook without data loss. The problem: Outlook for macOS can only import from an OLM or PST file. But eM client has no export option to this file format.

So at the moment I am in a dead end and can only pursue my professional activities with great limitation because of the limitations of the eM client.

I hope Mrs. Braná can provide a solution to go back from eM-Client to Outlook without data loss.