eM Client and Google 2-Step Verification

Does eM Client work with Google 2-Step Verification? I’ve downloaded it to have a look and it seems to sync calendar and contacts but not email - I use 2-Step Verification and Google Authenticator on my personal and business email accounts.

Yes it does. Google’s 2-step verification only enhances password for 3rd party access (which you’ll have to create under Google Account) and has no affect on anything else. I’ve been using the 2-step and eM since Google introduced it.

Doesn’t work for me.

Hello,

can I ask if eM Client shows any error messages?

regards
Jan

Hi.

I too have been experiencing this problem - after activating two-stage verification, I got a (repeated) pop-up from eM Client asking for my Google account password, but this was constantly rejected.

When people have said that eM Client works with the two-stage verification process, what they have failed to mention is that your usual password will *not* work - what you need is a new one; one which is automatically generated by Google, and known by them as an “application-specific password”.

Below is a link to a help page which explains what you need to do. I’ve just tried this, and it works! You can use copy-and-paste to enter the new password into eM Client’s password pop-up.

https://support.google.com/accounts/a…

1 Like

Hi, thank you for the feedback.
Yes, if you use the two step verification you need to generate an app specific password and replace your current setup password in eM Client for the generated one.

Paul.

Not any more…
I am trying to set up my Gmail account - I enter the 16 digit (with spaces) app specific password generated by Google and still get an error message with the advice to log in using my main password. If I do this I get an error screen telling me that Javascript is disabled (presumably in my default browser) which it is not. Only solution appears to be switch 2-1tep authentication OFF then ON again, but regular requests to reconnect make this impractical. A real shame!

Hi Phil,
we are sorry for the inconvenience, but we are currently experiencing some issues with Google’s 2-step verification and this is not the correct behaviour or the application.
Thank you for your patience while we work on a solution.

Regards,
Olivia

Thanks for that - I have managed to get going by turning off 2-step authentication then on again once EM is running - unfortunately this means reconnecting all my other devices and programmes. I am about to turn EM off then restart to see if it retains the connection - lets hope so!

FYI - I shut EM down and restarted - all accounts connected fine this time.

BTW - is it possible to direct sent mails to a specific folder during creation rather than retrieving from the sent folder??

Thanks

Hi Phil,
I think you should be able to set up a rule for that, in Tools > Rules.
When setting up a new rule, just change the default ‘After message has been received’ to ‘After message has been sent’ and then set the conditions as to what is to be done with the message.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello
I can not get Google 2-step Verification to work any longer with the version of EM Client I have justed downloaded (it used to work for me and works on another EM Client installation I have).

I generate the 16 character APP password, but when I input it as part of the account setup, then the password is just rejected.
I can only use my normal password which I need to update every 30 days.

What happened? - I would like to use the App password such that I dont need to update every 30 days

Hello
I can not get Google 2-step Verification to work any longer with the version of EM Client I have justed downloaded (it used to work for me and works on another EM Client installation I have).

I generate the 16 character APP password, but when I input it as part of the account setup, then the password is just rejected.
I can only use my normal password which I need to update every 30 days.

What happened? - I would like to use the App password such that I dont need to update every 30 days

Hello Mikkel,
what version of eM Client does this happen on?
Can you please share the full number from Help>About section?
We have not discontinued the 2-step verification for Gmail.

Regards,
Olivia

7.0.26687.0 is giving me problems.
Have installed another version and will see if it still happens.

Basically the behavior I am seeing is the same as when you log in using your browser - for 30 days the computer can remember you, but then you need to log in again