EM Client 9 - Error dragging GIF or JPG to body from online source: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

This just started happening recently after the update to 9.0.1708 (when all of the folder tags started showing up). I can now no longer drag/drop GIFs or any JPG/etc to body of an email from a web source without getting the message below. Never had an issue with this prior to the update - dragged GIF’s into my emails all the time with no issues prior to this update. How do I fix?

Here is the message that appears when I attempt to drag GIF/JPG etc into email body:
“Couldn’t add attachment.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

• Addl Note: I do have a pro license and am not using the free version if that makes a difference.

Are you running both of the applications as the same user?

If you are running one as Administrator, this will not work.

Both of which applications? I’m just trying to drag a GIF from a GIF page in Google Chrome to my EM client messages while drafting. How do I tell if I am running the app as user or administrator? This just started happening after the 9.0.1708 update. Worked fine before that.

I can now no longer drag/drop GIFs or any JPG/etc to body of an email from a web source without getting the message below

I re-tested dragging eg: .gif and .jpg files from Chrome and Chromium browsers, and “if you drag it to the desktop first” you can then drag it to any new or exiting eM Client message from the desktop as normal with any attachments from browsers. This has always been the case.

You don’t normally drag it directly to the new or exiting message window or you will get a “Couldn’t add attachment” error as per second example screenshot below which is what you are getting.

So drag it to the desktop first and then drag it to the new or exiting message window.

(Dragging the .gif or .jpg via the desktop first) works as normal.

(Dragging the .gif or .jpg directly to the message window) will fail.

THANK YOU CYBERZORK!!! - “drag it to the desktop first and then drag it to the new or exiting message window” - this worked for me so will get the job done! Not sure why the other drag/drop stopped working since it did work fine for me for years, but at least this gets me what I was needing!

Thank you again!

1 Like

FYI since the newest update I am now able to drag directly from GIF link into email again. Very strange… Kept note of the other method in case issue ever happens again. Having a whole other issue now that I will post separately.

1 Like

Yes i too can now drag .jpg and .gif files directly from Chromium browsers into new email messages in eM Client since V9.1.x, whereas previously had to drag them to the desktop first.