Downgrading to v8 after v9 upgrade (v9 too unstable for me)

I upgraded to v9 after receiving an email notification around 12 hours ago. The upgrade installation went smoothly but I’m now experiencing frequent crashes of eM Client to the extent it really is unusable. Since v8 was rock-solid for the 12 months I’ve been running it I would like to downgrade back to it. At least until v9 stability improves.

I understand the v9 database is incompatible with v8 but that is no great problem since the 2 accounts I use are IMAP. However I really would like to retain all my settings if possible, including rules, etc. Exporting the settings to XML looked promising but it seems that file is also incompatible with v8.

Any suggestions?

Environment here: eM Client v8.2.1706 and 9.0.1708, on Windows 10 Home, version 21H2, build 19044.1645.

The eM Client V9 unstable issue will be something Windows OS related. Or other optional software background program related issue causing it.

See the following thread if you need to d/g back to V8 in the meantime.

How can I downgrade back to eM Client 8, eM Client 7 or older? - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

How can I downgrade back to eM Client 8, eM Client 7 or older?

Posted by Olivia Rust on 21 July 2020 16:43
Our databases are not backward compatible for older versions and once you upgrade your database to accommodate the new version, you cannot just simply install an older version over it.

If you have a backup of your database from eM Client 8 or older you can skip any export. If not, you will need to export local data before the downgrade to keep them.

For accounts set up with IMAP or EWS protocol this is not an issue, as setting these accounts anew will synchronize messages and folders back from the server.

For POP accounts and any data in Local folders, export them first via Menu > File > Export and once you downgrade, you can import them back via Menu > File > Import.

The steps to downgrade then are to:

• Export any local data you need to keep (Menu > File > Export)
  • Uninstall eM Client 9
  • Either delete the database or rename it
  • Install your preferred older version of eM Client (You can find older versions in our Release history)
  • Restore from the backup (Menu > File > Restore) or create your accounts anew and import your local data back in (Menu > Tools > Accounts, Menu > File > Import)

If you want to just rename your database, the default location is in C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\eM Client

Thanks for the response, and the pointer to the earlier post re downgrading. I had already seen and followed those steps. However as I mentioned, there appears to be no way to retain the various settings and rules when doing so. The instability may well be due to something peculiar to my system that was fine with version 8.

Not to worry, I like eM Client and was considering a paid Pro licence. I may check it out again in the future but in the meantime it looks like back to Thunderbird.

Thanks again.