Dont download attachments

Is it possible, and if its not can it be put in, to set EM to NOT download attachments when using imap unless requested, or perhaps set only download if smaller than X size, unless specifically requested? 
Im having trouble using imap and clicking an email with attachments, even 1mb, where client will take ages and ages to get the attachments before giving up, silently, leaving me with a blank screen (so I cant even read the email) and no attachments.

Hello Barny, eM Client does not automatically download attachments except inline images included in the message body.
It is unfortunately not possible to make inline attachments not being downloaded as they are a part of the message’s body.

In case attachments are being downloaded automatically, you might be using the “Download messages for offline use” option with “Including attachments” enabled which is an option you should be able to disable in your account settings.

thanks for the reply
In this case there were 5 images attached to an email, not inline. When the email finally loaded they were not viewable inside the email itself but available as standard attachments normally are. 
all I wanted to do was read the email before choosing to download them.

I do not wish to download every message offline, defeats the benefits of imap. I just want to be able to read an email with an attachment without having to wait for the attachment to download first as they take forever to download. They should, at the very least, download in the background, not prevent you from even seeing the text part of the email, surely?

Hello again, I’m positive, attachments should not be downloaded automatically unless the option for downloading for offline use with attachments included is enabled.

If you’re having issues with loading your email content, what mail service are you using with eM Client? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact release number in Help > About?

holding fire on this for a bit, in another post I put how EM isnt playing nice with AVG. I’ve since turned off email virus scanning, and spam checking to get it to actually download email. I will have to test if this also helps with attachments.
The main issue is that it wont even open the email, once clicked, until its processed the attached files.

my version is - 6.0.22344.0

Hello again Barny, usually it’s the other way around, we’re unfortunately unable to control features of third party applications such as firewall or antivirus software, however these applications are able to block the connection for eM Client. My personal suggestion is not using these programs at all since the latest versions of Windows include a built-in firewall and network security application.

If the issue with downloading attachments persists with a turned off antivirus software, please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP logging for the problematic account, save the settings and replicate the issue.

Once the issue reoccurs, please also run this utility, http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and restart the application. Go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logs to my email, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic and the generated eM Stack Dump file for more information about this issue.

Thank you. 

I would be very careful with advising people not to install firewalls, or anti virus. Thats a can of worms you dont want to open.

The attachment thing is solved since disabling email scanning. Im not too comfortable with turning off my AV though but since EM wont work at all with it on, will leave it off for now. I dont understand why it only affects EM though, when other email clients work just fine.

Hello again Barny, it’s a personal suggestion, I’m using windows with the built-in Windows defender only, and never had any issues with unwanted downloads or viruses, but again maybe that’s just me.

The connection between the mail server and the client can’t be blocked by a third party application, it is possible the firewall needs to check the content of your mail before allowing eM Client to download and display the content, this however we’re unable to workaround as the security software controls the connection.