Does Em Client store emails

Hello Sirs,

I have been used to storing my important emails in local folders on my computer. Two weeks ago that computer crashed but fortunately I had backups. That got me thinking about what is the best solution for the future which raised these questions in my mind:

1. Does Em Client store emails on-line and if so what is the limit for storage?

2. If it doesn’t, is Em Client just a middle man that effectively co-ordinates our various email accounts?

3. If I want to store my important local email folders on-line will they be stored by the various email providers?

4. Are there other secure ways to store important emails on-line?

Thank you,

Geoff      

1. Does Em Client store emails on-line and if so what is the limit for storage?  With an IMAP account, by default eM Client only stores header information (locally) and downloads the message only when you select it.  There is an option to store message detail locally as well as on the server.  With a POP3 account, messages are stored locally and may or may not be kept on the provider’s server, depending if you direct it to or not…  eM Client does not store any data on its own servers, data is either stored on your local machine, the email Providers servers, or both.  Your email provider generally has data storage limits.

2. If it doesn’t, is Em Client just a middle man that effectively co-ordinates our various email accounts? see above.

3. If I want to store my important local email folders on-line will they be stored by the various email providers?  If the accounts is IMAP or Exchange, data will be stored on both local and email provider servers (these accounts are synchronized and are duplicates of each other).  Normally, POP3 accounts download all emails to the local machine, but may be left on the server as well.  These accounts do NOT synchronize, so if you delete an email on your local machine, it will not delete the email if it exists on the server.

4. Are there other secure ways to store important emails on-line?  I think the best option is IMAP, as all data is always on the provider’s server and your local machine as mirror copies of each other.

What Jay said for points 1-3.

Concerning point 4 - online anything is susceptible to being hacked. You decide if it is secure or not. Yahoo has had massive problems over the years with hacked accounts. A staggering 3 billion accounts were affected by the 2013 attack.