Does EM Client 9 alter the database?

With the upgrade from EM Client 7 to 8, it changed the database to the point where I couldn’t revert back to 7 when 8 didn’t work right. Does the same thing happen upgrading from 8 to EM Client 9?

The only complaint I have with EM Client 8 is sometimes the printer window opens very slow. Is EM Client 9 pretty stable? No big bugs? Or should I wait before upgrading?

Thanks

With the upgrade from EM Client 7 to 8, it changed the database to the point where I couldn’t revert back to 7 when 8 didn’t work right. Does the same thing happen upgrading from 8 to EM Client 9?

Every upgrade version has an updated database and is not backward compatible. However you can still revert back if you need to for any reason.

V9 for PC and Mac is very stable in my opinion and works great for IMAP, Exchange & iCloud accounts if you do upgrade. I’ve and my bro have been running it for sometime now on PC & Mac.

Before upgrading backup first via “Menu / Backup” incase you have any issues or you need to revert back for any reason. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

After updating to V9 if you have any issues, you can revert back to V8, V7 etc via following the link below.

Latest official release versions of eM Client for Windows or Mac on the version history page.

https://www.emclient.com/release-history

“How can I downgrade back to eM Client 8, eM Client 7 or older ?”

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/7/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-7

The only complaint I have with EM Client 8 is sometimes the printer window opens very slow.

The Printer window in V9 on PC Win 10/ 11 & Mac Monterey OS opens within a few seconds for me & my bro with no speed / delay issues.

Good advice! I think your way is easier than the way I reverted back to 7 from v8. I do have a nightly backup program I use to copy the database in case of a problem. The instructions for reverting back to 8 could use some clarification. Where it says this:

• Restore from the backup (Menu > File > Restore)

Since it first said to export my data in v9, wouldn’t this restore use my backup file I created in v8? If so then I’d have lost all the emails in the interim period… Whereas if I did this:

or create your accounts anew and import your local data back in (Menu > Tools > Accounts, Menu > File > Import)

Won’t that use the files I exported in v9? So what if I do both. First use the restore from my v8 backup this will restore my accounts too and then use the other Import method to have the lastest emails? Or should I use Menu > Backup in v9 before I revert to v8? This way the accounts, settings and data will be restored?

The instructions for reverting back to 8 could use some clarification. Where it says this:

• Restore from the backup (Menu > File > Restore)

Since it first said to export my data in v9, wouldn’t this restore use my backup file I created in v8? If so then I’d have lost all the emails in the interim period… Whereas if I did this:

So first create the backup.zip file via “Menu / Backup” in V8 and then copy that file into another folder so it doesn’t get mixed up if you have to restore V8 for any reason.

What I personally do is create a folder within the backup directory called eg: V8 backup and then after backing up V8 copy it in there. It will be automatically dated as well so you know which one it is if you did have to restore from it.

You can see the backup directory by going to “Menu / Settings / General / Backup” in eM Client

Once you’ve upgraded to V9 make a new backup again and I would also copy that to another folder within the backup directory called V9 backup. It again will date stamped.

Then if you have to revert back to V8 as per the eM Client support page, Export your emails via the “Menu / File / Export” options to eg: .eml files to a folder of your choice which can then be reimported back into eM Client V8 after you reinstall V8 and restore your V8 backup.

However if you have an eg: IMAP, Exchange or iCloud account (Non POP acct), you don’t need to export emails in a later version of eM Client to then reimport back into an earlier version of eM Client as it will just automatically update any new mail once V8 reconnects to your server as normal after reinstalling V8 and restoring your V8 backup. Hope that makes sense & helps you.

Excellent advice. Thanks for the clarification

1 Like

Thanks cyberzork, I also find v9 stable and an easy upgrade from v8. I’m saving your method for upgrading and reverting back to a previous version, since it may come in handy one day.

1 Like