.Docx attachment send failure error

I have been sending 3 .docx attachments to a number of people. They are a total of 3.6Mb.
After clicking Send they appear in the Outbox, then after a while I get an error message:
“Connecting to Neil McDonald… failed.”, as per atttached.


After a couple of refreshes, they eventually get sent and appear in Sent folder.
However, the messages also stay in the Outbox.
I assume this is something to do with the total attached file size.

Sending 3.6mb of attachments in total wouldn’t be a problem (with any SMTP server) in my opinion, especially not Gmail which you appear to be using.

You may possibly have an older version of eM Client & need an update.

What version of eM Client are you running?

Also do you have Windows or Mac OS ?

I am using Windows 10 on a laptop.
eM Client is v 9.2.1735 (3d90379).
Yes, GMail.

I am using Windows 10 on a laptop.
eM Client is v 9.2.1735 (3d90379).
Yes, GMail

Ok so eM Client is up the date and the Gmail SMTP server can easily handle that size.

Might be then something optionally installed possible running in the background on your computer maybe slowing it or interfering with the email & attachments sending.

So if you have any eg: optional Antivirus programs, or optional Firewall / Security programs or VPNs etc, try completely disabling those to test.

Now if you don’t have any of those optional programs installed or makes no difference disabling them, then I would next try removing and readding your Gmail account via the automatic email wizard via “Menu / Accounts” Incase there is problem with the account locally.

Note: If you do remove and readd your Gmail account, backup first via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is complete in “Show / Operations” via the drop-down next to refresh.

Lastly if removing and readding the account still makes no difference, then try eg: zipping those .docx files into one zip & see if that sends ok.

Note that although the it produces a ‘fail’ error message (see previous post), the email eventually gets sent. However even though it goes into the Sent box as a sent message, it is ALSO still in the Out box.
Have done some more testing…

  • Made sure nothing else was running in background - no change.
  • Turned off Avast Antivirus - bingo, emails with attachments went through OK.
    So it seems that Avast antivirus is obviously having some impact.

It would seem to me that emClient must need some tweaking so that it correctly handles whatever “error” response messages it is getting back from Avast.

Turned off Avast Antivirus - bingo, emails with attachments went through OK.

So it seems that Avast antivirus is obviously having some impact.

Avast and Avg have been known to cause issues with many different email clients.

The “Mail shield” in these Antivirus programs tends to interfere with mail clients.

So you can either “disable the Mail shield” in Avast “so it still runs resident” but doesn’t interfere with eM Client when using email. See Avast website for info on that.

Or you can try “exporting the Avast certificate and then importing that certificate” into eM Client which worked for some users. See Avast website for info on that.

Also make sure you add eM Client into the Avast Allowed apps. See Avast website for info on that.

Apart from that if still a problem, you need to speak to Avast technical support.

A few points:

  • I tried export of Avast certificate & imported it into eM Client, but that didn’t fix problem.
  • I will raise issue with Avast, but I would have thought that it would be more successful & appropriate if you (eM Client) raised it directly.
  • Even though the problem may well be caused by Avast mail shield, this doesn’t change the fact that eM Client isn’t handling the ‘error’ correctly. After displaying the send error message, the email eventually gets sent and goes into the Sent box AND ALSO remains in the Out box.

I tried export of Avast certificate & imported it into eM Client, but that didn’t fix problem

Even though the problem may well be caused by Avast mail shield, this doesn’t change the fact that eM Client isn’t handling the ‘error’ correctly

Yes this issue is 99% of the time caused by the Avast Mail shield as some other forum users found. It’s not an eM Client issue as this type of problem also interferes with many mail clients.

So as the export and import of the Avast certificate into eM Client didn’t work, and adding eM Client as an allowed program in Avast also didn’t help, the only option is to disable the Mail shield in Avast as I advised in my post.

The only other alternative until Avast fix their program issue, is as some users have done is either “try an alternative Antivirus program” or “just use the built-in OS Antivirus program” as I do.

Note: If you do try an alternative Antivirus program, recommend to avoid AVG & G-Data as they also have issues with many mail clients.