disable email account(s)

I am sorry if this question has been asked, I did search but did not find a response, which surprised me. 

Anyways, I have several old email accounts, I wish to temporarily disable some of them and enable them at a future date, perhaps to just check e-maill once every month and then disable them again.

In the accounts pop-up I do not find any setting to temporarily disable an account, any help?

Thanks!

Al 

Hi Al.

This feature was available in version 6, but was discontinued in version 7.

Thanks Gary.

Is there a work around to accomplish disabling accounts?

About all you can do is add them when you need them, then remove them when you are done.

Or rather than checking them once a month, you could just have them forward any emails to your current one.

Yes, pretty limited …to bad they removed this feature …oh well, thanks for all suggestions.

1 Like

That sounds like a bad idea to remove what is clearly a useful function.
I need to disable an account as getting a message every sync cycle that a particular mail server is offline. Deleting and Adding the email account is a clumsy way of managing activity.

1 Like

Yes it was a very useful function that ended with version 6. The current solution in version 7.1.x with a Pro License is to untick the IMAP and SMTP boxes (and any other services) in the account settings. That way the account just sits there doing nothing until you tick them again.

Of course that also removes the folders from eM Client. ;-(

Until I got to the last sentence, it all sounded good.
I wonder if just unticking POP3 will suspend collection and leave the account intact? SMTP Shouldn’t be triggered until a mail is attempted to be sent.

Yes, sorry about that last sentence. It was an afterthought, and is not complete. The folders are removed from view, but the contents are still retained so when you tick it again there is no need to do a full resync.

Unticking POP3 will also remove the POP3 folders from view, but keep the contents intact. This is different from deleting the account, which purges the database of the contents for both POP3 and IMAP.  If when setting up the POP3 account, you chose to use shared folders, so the POP3 messages are stored in Local Folders, they will remain visible even when the POP3 service is unticked.

1 Like

There is a checkbox in the general tab of the accounts menu that says “Include when sending/receiving email”.  The documentation claims that this can be used to “Temporarily suspend an account”.  I have not tried it, but it seems like that is what you want.

Yes, that probably is it.
It’s a great feat to miss the obvious in front of your nose. :slight_smile:

How true :)  …thank you Jay!

However, it still tries to authenticate, which defeats the purpose of “disabling” as it tries to contact the server(s) anyway.

The purpose here is to stop emails from downloading.  Why is it a problem that it authenticates?

because it keeps doing it and doing it and doing it… if i disable, it shouldn’t still try to login to a server. 

1 Like

What use is authentication without downloading?

1 Like

Because it shouldn’t be trying to authenticate if it’s not going to be downloading. I have the same problem. I have a mail server that is intermittently unavailable. I would like to stop checking it all the time. I only want to check it manually. Even though I took it off the group to check and download, it still tries to authenticate then tells me server is unavailable. I dont want to delete the account and re-add every few weeks. Thunderbird allowed this but I quit it when it stopped getting updated. Now I paid for EM Client and I’m surprised that this basic feature was removed.

I think it was a very bad idea to remove ability to disable account login.
How am expected to see years of email history if I no longer have active account?

Another problem is; its very annoying having to cancel the login prompt in order to use my active accounts.

Hope this is not a scam to force users to enter their password, in case the account is still active; otherwise I don’t see how it benefits developer to keep asking for password month after month after month.

After all, we are in the age of AI :slight_smile: might be asking a bit much here.

Move the messages to Local Folders, and then remove the inactivate account from eM Client.

I agree with wgordon97213234
Copying emails into local folders is kinda gross. It is much better just to inactivate accounts. It makes it much easier to figure out what has happened 10 years later. This is really stupid. I moved over to emollient unorder to avoid this sort of outlook, control freak type structure.