Deleting messages doesn't remove "Inbox" Category with gmail account

Hi.  I’ve recently upgraded from v6 (which I apparently can’t use with Gmail any more because it’s not trusted) and have an issue “deleting” messages from my Inbox.  When pressing the delete key, eM Client is adding the “Deleted Items” Category for my Trash folder as expected.  However, it’s not removing the “Inbox” Category, and therefore not removing the email from my Inbox.  Any ideas how to make this work correctly?

Regards,
Blaise

First, I think you can still use v.6 with Gmail, there’s an option in Gmail to allow “Less secure applications”.  In Gmail (web) got to account/security.  At the bottom of the page is the less secure option.  Gmail will then accept a password through eM Client, rather than the more secure 0Auth2.

For the deleted items, where do they show in the web client?  Still in inbox?  My definitely does not act like this.  What if y9u click “refresh” on eM Client?

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response.  

Regarding using v6 with Gmail, you’re right, I’ve been able to get around the Google security restriction.  However, for some reason I’m only able to get v6 (with the less secure apps setting) to work for email.  Calendar and Contacts don’t sync.  They don’t even appear (even though I’ve got these selected in the Account setup).  I’ve not done a lot of research on why this is happening yet, but dropped the account a couple of times and re-added it with no success.  

For the deleted items, if I “delete” in eM Client it adds the Deleted Items category (Inbox Category is never shown unless you select to view Categories).  When I view this in the web client, it shows the same thing.  eM Client has added the “Deleted Items” label, but not removed the “Inbox” label. And Refresh isn’t changing anything…

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Blaise

Actually, the trash folder is an actual folder in Gmail (along with spam and All Mail).  It makes me wonder if you have the folders setup wrong in the account settings and when you delete an item, it is just entering a label, rather than actually putting it in trash.  If you go to menu/tools/accounts and select the IMAP tab, it should look like this:

Hi Jay,

Again, thanks for your response.

My config isn’t as you’ve pictured above, but that’s intentional.  One of the features of eM Client v6 is that you can change the “Special Folders” to another preferred folder.  In this case, I don’t want my deleted messages going to the Gmail Trash (because of the lack of message retention, and I’m slightly compulsive when it comes to not really throwing anything away), I want them to go to a folder called Deleted Items.  Therefore, I’ve got Trash = Deleted Items in the account.  

Based on the documentation I’ve read for eM Client, this should still be possible in v7.  And it does still work in v6, so I know it’s not necessarily a Google issue… 

Any suggestions.  Or potentially any other suggestions on how to get v6 working with Google Calendars and Contacts?

I’ll keep trying!

Regards,
Blaise

Hi Blaise-- I think we have solved the issue. For better or worse, eM Client has decided to integrate very tightly with Gmail (the majority of their users are Gmail users).  This was not the case in version 6.  So, wen you aerated the new deleted items folder, Gmail and  considered it just a category and not an actual folder.  As a result, when you put the item in your trash folder, it just puts the “trash” category and it does not know which folder to remove it from (remember, there could be multiple categories, or “folders” that a message is associated with), so it leaves the inbox label.  Using the actual Gmail trash folder (an actual folder), it will remove all categories associated with that message.

Doing what you do is fine, you will just have to manually remove the inbox flag.  Maybe instead of putting these messages in your trash folder, you simply archive it using auto-archive?  This will put it in a local folder (but by default will leave it in all mail).

I was having the same problem that Blaise reported for my Gsuite account and resolved it when I found that in my Gsuite settings the Bin (UK user?, sometimes called Trash) was not ticked to show in IMAP.

1 Like