Deleting emails causes eM Client to crash

Since about a week eM Client (v8 Pro) crashes multiple times a day. Most of the time when trying to delete one or more emails. Really annoying and we can’t find the reason why. We are on the latest version within v8 so no updates available which could solve the issue.

Below you can see the first part of the log. Any ideas on how to solve this? This really isn’t useable anymore and quite a frustrating situation.

Thanks for any help!
Version: 8.2.1721

Just did some more tests and even clicking on a specific email causes the program to crash. Nothing special about the email (html newsletter from a trustworthy source)

Since about a week eM Client (v8 Pro) crashes multiple times a day. Most of the time when trying to delete one or more emails.

If its happening alot deleting any emails, then sounds like your local mail database account might have possibly become corrupted, or maybe something has happened with eM Client itself.

So i would first try first forcing a repair of the mail database manually via the command line.

(Force a repair of the eM Client database manually for Windows)

Close eM Client and then open a Windows Command Prompt. Not a Powershell, Then Paste and run the following command:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe” /dbrepair

(Force a repair of the eM Client database manually for Mac)

Close eM Client and then “open the Terminal app via either Launchpad or Utilities” on the Mac. Then Paste and run the following command.

/Applications/eM\ Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM\ Client /dbrepair

Now if the repair makes no difference, suggest to next try “removing and re-adding your account”.

So If it’s an IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud (Non POP account), go to “Menu / Accounts” (PC) or “eM Client / Accounts” (Mac) and remove and re-add your account using either the regular “Add Account automatic wizard” at the top, or the manual “Add / Mail / Other” account option depending on your specific mail server requirement’s.

Now if its a POP account, first create a folder called eg: Old Mail down in “Local Folders” at the bottom left of eM Client and drag / move all your current messages and message folders as they are down under Local Folders. Then once you are certain all your current POP mail is under Old Mail, then remove your POP account at the top and then re-add it. Once its re-added again as new, then drag / move backup all your old POP mail from Local Folders to the matching new POP mail account.

Note:- If you don’t see Local Folders at the bottom left of eM Client, go to “Menu / Settings / General” (Pc) or “eM Client / Preferences / General” (Mac) and check the box “Show Local Folders” & Save settings.

Apart from that you might need to uninstall eM Client and delete the database and reinstall from scratch. Hopefully though the manual database repair or removing and re-adding of the acct fixes it.

Lastly if you get it then working ok with either of the above methods, then create a backup of eM Client via “Menu / Backup” (Pc) or “File / Backup” (Mac) so you can then easily restore if need be in the future. You can also setup automatic periodic backups via Settings / Preferences / General / Backup.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I did the DB repair but with no effect. After every crash DBrepair is automatically done, so I already thought this was going to happen. BUt it was worth a try.

Next step is deleting mailacount(s). I’ve got 6 mailaccounts active in the application (all IMAP). Should I delete en re-enter them one at a time or delete all and then add all?
Will that do any harm to existing email or will all of them just be “re-imported” once I re-enter the accounts.
If so, isn’t it wise to get to the last option immediately and delete the application, delete ll files (of course make a backup) and start all over again?

I’ve got 6 mailaccounts active in the application (all IMAP). Should I delete en re-enter them one at a time or delete all and then add all?

Will that do any harm to existing email or will all of them just be “re-imported” once I re-enter the accounts.

As they are all IMAP accounts (Non POP) where all your mail resides on the server, removing and readding your accounts will not loose any email and will be exactly the same when readded. The only thing is that when you readd your IMAP accounts again once the mail reappears, it will take a little time to reread till fully cached.

I would suggest to only remove the IMAP account which is causing the problem. If all of them are doing the same thing, then yes you might need to remove all of them and readd them all from scratch.

As a last resort, yes you might need to remove all your accounts and uninstall the program and delete the database and reinstall from scratch. But try removing and readding your accounts first as could just be a corrupted account.

Indeed found out that one of the mail-accounts caused the issues. Since I deleted that account, the problems are gone.

Will add it again tomorrow and see if the problem returns. Sure hope not. Thanks a lot for your help!