Databasecheck on every start

Hello there,
I am suffering a bug which seems to persist for years in emClient and is still not fixed. emClient states that it was not closed correctly and has to check the database on every start.

I still do not understand why emClient does not delay the shutdown until it has closed all subprocesses as other applications do (showing: This Applications prevent shutdown").

Mechanism is decribed here: Application Shutdown Changes in Windows Vista (Windows) | Microsoft Learn

Although it is XP/Vista related (yes it is that old already!) it also applies to Win10/11. Please fix this!

Thanks,
Andreas Voßloh

1 Like

It is not eM Client that is responsible for the Windows shutdown. Rather it is the OS. Unfortunately in some situations the OS ungracefully terminates running applications, and in the case of eM Client this will leave the database in an unusable state.

On the next restart, eM Client needs to fix that so you can have access to your data again.

Best option, unless you want to ask Microsoft for assistance, is to exit eM Client before you shutdown Windows.

Hello Gary,
this does not answer the question why emClient does not use the Windows mechanism which is especially build for this problem. Applications can request delay of shutdown since WinXP and this was improved in Vista. Acronis Backup i.e. can delay shutdown for HOURS (!) if Backup is not finished on shutdown.

As I said, unfortunately in some situations the OS ungracefully terminates running applications. That means the OS disregards the application and just terminates it.

Best option, unless you want to ask Microsoft for assistance, is to exit eM Client before you shutdown Windows.

So you tell me that Windows ignores the ShutdownBlockReason registered by emClient and WM_QUERYENDSESSION =FALSE “in some situations”? Only in emClient? Why does it work always fine with other apps, including my own ones? Strange!

1 Like