Database location in Windows 10?

I’ve been using eM client for a little over a year and really like it. Does everything I need it to do. Recently my old laptop crashed, and I’ve bought a new one. The computer repair guy was able to recover most of the data files from the dead PC HDD, but I need to know where in those files I’d find the eM database so I can transfer it to my new computer. Any help is much appreciated.

You will find everything in c:\users~username\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. Just copy this directory to your new laptop after installing eM Client.

If you are using the 7.1 beta version, there is additionally an avatar cache in  AppData\Local\eM Client. I am not sure if this is there with the 7.0 version, but if the directory exists on your old laptop, just copy it also.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks Gary! My new machine is scheduled to arrive Monday, so will follow your instructions and hopefully get back to biz. :slight_smile:

As a potential new user, I just installed EM Client version 7.2.37746.0 on new Win10 laptop from the Microsoft Store.  I successfully imported in about 92,000+ items from my Outlook pst file which is almost 2 Gb in size.  The import went extremely well which surprised me a little; have some calendar issues to clean up.  I would like to change the database location in order to backup the EM Client data on to an external drive via GoodSync.  I go into Menu - Tools - Settings - Storage and see that the database location is suppose to be C:\Users\dmtos\AppData\Roaming\eM Client for Microsoft Store.  However, I go into that path via File Explorer showing hidden files and folders… and that path does not exist.  So where is all the data that I imported being stored?  It better not be in the cloud or on an em web client… I want my data stored locally on my personal computer.  Should I re-install from the eM Client download page rather than through Microsoft Store?  Should I upgrade to the PRO version?  I do find a SQLite db file called IconCache in AppData - Local… but it is not associated with EM Client.  This should be nice and tidy with everything installed in a single location.
https://www.emclient.com/download

Store apps have a different AppData location despite what is initially displayed in the settings. You will find it at:

C:\Users\dmtos\AppData\Local\Packages\eMClient.xxxx\LocalCache\Roaming\eM Client for Microsoft Store.

It may vary depending on the Windows version, but you can find the directory by searching for one of its files, like snippets.dat.

My opinion is that the non-Store version is better, not just because of things like this, but because it is a few releases ahead of the Store option so has more fixes and may have more features. You can download and install that from the Release History.

The best way to backup eM Client is to use its own backup option which you will find in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Backup. That makes a zip file of the database and stores it in the named directory. It is most useful because the application does not need to be closed for the backup to take place. That is not so with other backup or file syncing applications, where they will copy empty eM Client databse files if eM Client is running, and so are completely useless.

eM Client version 8, due out in the Spring, will also offer cloud backup options.