Data Files Location

Is there any way of moving the data files and specifying the new location similar to what can be done with an Outlook pst file?

I’m asking this because I have data from all my applications in one “Data” folder and subfolders to facilitate simpler backup.

Hello,

Yes, there is a way how to do this.

Go to Tools - Settings - General - General - Storage, and point “Database directory” to new path.

please read information under path bar.

regards
Jan

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks very much. :slight_smile:

You are welcome :slight_smile:

regards
Jan

How do you restore the database if the system crashes and I cannot start emclient, I have a back up

What is the default location, cannot find it

Hi,
the default database location is:
C:\Users%Current User%\AppData\Roaming\eM Client (Vista/Win7/8)
C:\Documents and Settings%Current User%\Application Data\eM Client (XP)

Hello,

Default location is in C:\Users\ current user \AppData\Roaming

you can restore database by deleting old one, and when em client will start then go to File - Restore…

regards
Jan

To move the email database to a new computer, do I copy the entire roaming folder or only the em client folder in the roaming folder? going from a win 7 to win 8 machine.

none of both options, you need to perform File - Backup… and then on new computer File - Restore…

Just copying “eM Client” folder could cause irreversible damage to database.

with regards
Jan

ok, thanks

you’re welcome

with regards
Jan

I had to start all over with the eMClient and I’m having a hard time getting my archived emails back. How do I find them and then point the newly installed eMClient to them?

Hi,
I want to change it to “D:\Email%USERNAME%” But I can’t. You know someway to set it that way by default for any user on PC? Thank you.

Hello Eduardo,
you can change the location once you install eM Client, but not by default, you would need to change it manually for each user.
What problem do you experience when changing the database location?

Thank you for your reply, I can change it, but I have several computers where users are constantly switching.
C: drive is the worst place to store email data because the drive is partitioned to only install programs and save minimal user data.

We store in drive “X”: because we use it to store all user data to prevent data loss from system failures or similar, “X:” drive is easily recovered when a problem happen with C: drive.

We were searching a way to set the default drive for emclient database other than C: and use a default path ending with the current user, like: “D:\Correo<currentuser>”. We also use Local Folders to store mail (each user only have 100mb on mailserver).