Damaged attached file names

In a window with content of any email name of attached file is ok, but if I click twice to save or open it name of file is damaged.
The same problem with the right-side field.
Screenshots are attached.
I have written in ProSupport about half a year before and got no answer.
Should I understand that EMClient is only a text mail client, and any operations (opening, display correct names, saving by original name) with files are not guaranted?

Can I share this issue to prevent new potential customers about non-abilities of file operations in emails by EMClient?

1 Like

Is this eM Client for Mac or Windows ? and what version of eM Client do you have ?.

Can you also for an example tell us in English “the original name of that long .pdf file” so we can then create a test.pdf “with the same long file name” to replicate that issue.

Also if you use iCloud mail there was a workaround fix for Windows & Mac back in Jan 2021 via the release history page. It fixed the “malformed downloaded attachments” for different languages which also may be related to the issue you are having if you do use iCloud. See info below end of post.

Also check to that you have updated to the latest version of eM Client incase you have an older version. If you do upgrade to a newer version, backup first via “Menu / Backup” incase of any issues.

Thursday, January 28, 2021

eM Client 8.1 Service Update

• Workaround for iCloud IMAP bug that manifests with malformed downloaded attachments
  • Czech, spanish, italian, portuguese, swedish and chinese localization updates

It is in any 8th version on EmClient in Windows area, now I use the last updated yesterday version. And it was before. I think 6 month for sure. From beginning. With any 8x versions in 6 month.

No cloud. No iCloud. Simple imap. Just imap. And, yes, it issue only in EM. It’s a trouble with encoding. Some Russian files display somewhere (look attach before) correct names, but when I am trying to operate with file EM change (display) name not as original but as utf-8"%… and long until no extention.

It happens only with some (50/50) Russian names in files, but not with all. With some of them. I already sent examples, files, copies, and more by instructions in ProSupport.

Example: file with name “УПД Промышленные насосы (1).pdf” in EMClient is “utf-8’’%D0%A3%D0%9F%D0%94%20%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B%D1%88%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%8B%20%28%31%29%2E%70%64%66

I can make very detailed video with explanation if my screenshots and text explanation are still not enough to understand the issue.

I can re-send email with such a file to Developer! O! Good idea!

I have written in Pro Support about half a year before and got no answer.

That is strange you got no reply from eM Client Pro Support.

Ok i definitely can receive a test (Russian PDF) file attachment with (that same file name) but when i hover over it all i just see the normal .PDF preview icon as per below screenshots. Also when i open that pdf via the open button (on the right of the thumbnail) it opens ok and has the same file name.

I can only presume that whatever is (within your specific.pdf) as you said (50/50) Russian names that that eM Client is just not interpreting correctly (so doesn’t show the normal thumbnail pdf icon), or your default OS pdf reader is the issue and may need updating or changing to a different reader. Have you tried different default pdf readers other than the built-in Win 10/11 reader ?

Note:- If you have already tried different free pdf readers and have the latest eM Client version then yes i would agree as you said to again send in one of your example Russian .pdf files to be examined by Pro Support.

(Opening that same .pdf via clicking that Thumbnail Preview / Open button).

It is not about type of file :man_facepalming:
pdf or xls or jpg is no mater
I talk about name, really You can not understand that some Russian files are utf-8’’%D0%A3%D0%9F%D0%94%20%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B%D1%88%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%8B%20%28%31%29%2E%70%64%66 but not they original name?

And my PRO support is finished. Answer did not received.
Problem is with encoding of file name.

So, as I see EMClient can not 50/50 work properly with files in Russian names. Is it ok for mail client?

As you have no longer have any Pro support to send in an example of that Russian 50/50 file, then i doubt anyone on this user forum would be able to help you as would normally need to be looked at by eM Client devs / support to determine what the problem is.

Hopefully someone in this forum has struck this issue before and can help you.

Aaaaaaa… He is no devs / support :slight_smile:
I thought that here is a place to inform about issues even PRO is finished.
But here is only free-conversations :slight_smile:
Ok! Thank You! Super EM! Soft without support :joy:

Ok! paid +1 year of super VIP support!
Interesting! Amazing!