Cyrus-Imap Shared mailboxes

I’m using Cyrus IMAP as email backend, and I have shared mailboxes among users. During mailbox synchronization, I’m getting an error saying that “Other Users” (the container for shared mailboxes) cannot be opened because it doesn’t exist, which is strictly true, but shouldn’t be scanned. Is there any way to tell eM client not to complain about this pseudo directory?

Hi, I will need your IMAP logs, go to tools - settings - advanced, check IMAP under your account, apply and restart eM Client.
Simulate steps that leads to your issue and after that use “send logs…” to [email protected] together with this topic’s URL in subject.

Then you can turn logging off.

Jan

Hi, on March, 2013, I was askiong about this bug, and someone replied to me with:

Hi, sorry, unfortunately we are unable to fix this right away but we’ll fix it in the next update of our application.
The problem is in the communication between your account and our application.

Please be patient.
Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
Pavel Karfik.
eM Client

Any news on when it will be fixed?  It’s really annoying anf I’m certainly not the only one who’s using your email client with Kolab, isn’t it ?

Thanks,

Christian…

Nope. You’re not the only one getting annoyed … this problem prevents me to recommend em client to my non-technical users who get easily confused by this

Hi Christian, hi Daniel, if this is regarding the Cyrus-IMAP shared mailboxes, there’s currently a setting in the account settings on your server that should allow you to use these shared mailboxes.
Unfortunately I’m not able to navigate exactly to that option as I have no access to such account.

However look for the alternate namespace setting, this might help:
http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.7/altnamespace.php

Thank you,
Paul.

The problem is not with the server config, but rather the eM client, which should not try to refresh the content of the pseudo-mailbox under which all shared mailboxes are represented. By default, Cyrus-Imap server user mailboxes is prefixed with “Other Users”.

Christian

As Christian already wrote. Cyrus has 2 alt namespaces. The defaults are “Shared Folders” for shared mailboxes and “Other Users” for the mailboxes of other people that shared folders or subfolders with you.

These are the defaults and the server is configured correctly.

I see the following options:

• Ability to deselect folders that should not be refreshed automatically
  • Only refresh folders where you’ve the “LIST” access rights.
  • Ignore the ALTNAMES ROOT folders (shared folders and other others)
    This is clearly a client issue cause em client doesn’t take care of the pseudeo folders.

btw. other clients likely don’t have this issue cause they work with subscriptions and those pseudo folders aren’t subscribed. But subscription is a totally different issue.

Hi again, can you please try to enable IMAP logging for this account while this error occurs?
Please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and check the IMAP logging option.

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    When the error occurs, go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

Just forwarded the message I already sent months ago with logs, and screenshot of the error…

Hi Christian, thank you for the submitted logs, I have submitted the data to the developers for more information about the problem.

I’ll keep you posted once I have more information.

Thank you, and sorry for any inconveniences caused by the problem.

Regards,
Paul.

Hi Christian, thank you for the submitted logs, I have submitted the data to the developers for more information about the problem.

I’ll keep you posted once I have more information.

Thank you, and sorry for any inconveniences caused by the problem.

Regards,
Paul.

I tried to reproduce this behaviour but couldn’t. When I press “Refresh All” then everything is getting pulled but I get no error message.

Only when I directly click on on one of the mailboxes or pseudo mailboxes I get the “mailbox doesn’t exist” message.

I’ve the feeling that from time to time eM Client is doing some discover or full refresh of all folders and then runs into the the problem not being able to scan/access a folder. Either cause the folder is a pseudo mailbox (Shared Folder) or a mailbox you don’t have access too (Other Users/) while access to the folder with correct access
rights works just fine (Other Users//stuff)

EMCLIENT IS HOSED.

See the expose, here:
https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/bug-imap-list-command

Hi,

Any news on this particular bug? This is really annoying for day to day use. What appears
on the screen is the following popup window…  every single time the mailboxes tries to refresh.   This “Other Users” mailbox is not really a mailbox. It’s just an alt namespace from Cyrus Imap server that will contain any shared user mailboxes. But Other Users should not be tried to refresh. It doesn’t exist anywhere, nor the “Shared Folder” is.

Hi Christian, can you please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and again enable IMAP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the error reoccurs, please send me the logging data with a reference link to this forum topic to my email [email protected]

Thank you,
Paul