creating folders with illegal characters

Currently you create folder names with a left backslash “” eg: test \ test
This needs to be removed horrid bug, it should be the same as no right slash which does come illegal requester. I just spent hours and hours now, moving mail from emclient mail to and imap server mail and have discovered that the folders with “” in them are blocking all the importing mail which we had no idea our customer was doing when making folders.
Maybe when someone tries this, suggest in the error box or illegal char box msg, suggest _ or space instead to alleviate this problem. This can days and days of problems.

Hi Dade, I’m not completely sure what you’re referring to, eM Client does not allow to create subfolders with a “/” or “” signs, special characters are not allowed and you should most likely receive an error about the action being impossible to make on the server.

Regards,
Paul

Currently if using gmail, it will let you create a folder eg: “test \ test” note the slash in the folder name left backslash. If you create a folder name with “test / test” it yes brings up an error as it should. Can you make also this error msg happen with " \ " as well or as described “test \ test”.

If it’s possible or not to create such folder is always set by the mail server you’re using. You will not be able to create a folder containing a sign that explicitly forbids to be included in the folder name as the sign can be pointing to another folder.

If an error is not thrown you can create a new folder with a backslash and it won’t cause any issues. The error is always thrown by the server so this does not depend on eM Client.

Regards,
Paul

The problem with this is that in gmail then I can create folders with illegal / or \ either way…but, emclient identifies to stop me creating as I said on a right backslash but takes no account stopping me on a left. So given that you said, the server decides this, it seams reguardless emclient is infact interfacing to stop / creation but not backslash folder creation. I find this odd in logic then if you can block right slash you can block left for ppl as it then seams to be from emclient currently. Of course yes directly in gmail there is no retrictions.

Malcolm, the restrictions are made by the server, not eM Client, thus if Gmail doesn’t disable the ability to create a folder that contains a backslash sign, there’s no reason to disable our users from creating such folder.

The error will be thrown in case you use a forbidden sign, on gmail, backslash is not forbidden.

Regards,
Paul

Well it shouldn’t be fullstop. The use of \ in any foldername is rediculous which has caused all this import issue from emclient to gmail in the firstplace from your program yet a simple addition of block \ also would have stopped our issues. It is a path symbol used in filesystems. Eg. Even windows does not allow this. But you are disabling / in foldernames, why bother with it then either. We are are not getting anywhere not logical. IMO, if gmail allow this its wrong also should be changed.

What kind of import issues have you come across to, as I previously mentioned there’s no reason to ban a sign from the folder name if the server can work with the sign and allows you to include this in the folder name.

If the server allows you to create a subfolder with a ‘’ and we won’t allow it, you might be unable to synchronize the folder with the server, and the subtraction of this option would generate issues between the email client and the server.

Regards,
Paul

Ok again, we have discovered that one of our clients has unbeknown to us, been adding folders for at least the last year or more in emclient with folder names with eg: “test \ test” as a folder name. You note the \ in the folder name. He has a huge mail file something like 12 gig, and we have found folder and sub folders under them with multiple folders with \ in amongst the name and as such, we started importing them or moving them into now a gmail imap account so as he could then use emclient with that interface instead. But, as ive described above, all of a sudden emclient stopped importing when it discovered folders with eg: “name \ name” for example under a folder eg: sub folder or even the main root folder with a back slash incoorporated in the name, it simply gives you invalid. Again this has been caused because people are allowed to put a blackslash in a local mail account in emclient. Gmail does not have the problem yes i realise that, but its emclient draging into imap gmail accounts. The Emclient account is a pop account, and note as soon as the folder is then renamed to a non slash folder name it then moves into gmail imap account ok. This would not have happened if no slash was allowed in emclient pop account folder names in the first place the same as / slash folder names.

Hi Malcolm, I’m sorry but I’m still not completely sure if you’re moving folders from local folders to a gmail account setup in the application, or if you’re importing from an existing backup, what kind of format do you have your backup saved in, what “mail file” do you have in mind, is that a PST file full of your messages from Outlook, or what kind of data type are you importing?

If I create a subfolder with a “” in it’s name and move it from the Gmail account or to the Gmail account, both cases are showing no problems while moving the items.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we’re just trying to narrow the options down in order to replicate the issue.

Regards,
Paul