creating a Distribution List does not create a Group in Gmail

Can this be done or is it not currently possible?

Many thanks

Julian

Hi Julian, that’s unfortunately not possible since distribution list and groups are different features.
Distribution lists are created within a group to allow you to send out email to a large group of people, but groups are basically only for organizational purposes.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Thanks Paul,
I think I follow. :slight_smile:

Regs

Julian

GMail does not have the ability to have true distribution lists. So, if you create one in eM Client, it will not sync to GMail. GMail expects that if you want to create a distribution list, you will create a group and add all the contacts you want into that group. You can then send an email to the entire group. This is not the same as a Distribution List, which for all purposes is a contact record that contains multiple email addresses in it.

• Merg

Hi again, yes this is true the support for distribution lists in Gmail is nowhere near perfect, the distribution should work unless you edit the item from another client or from gmail’s webmail… Although there also might be issues with distribution lists containing too many contacts.

Let me know if you come across any issues with distribution lists.
Thank you,
Paul.

Something I meant to post, but forgot is that there is a little bit of a workaround to the Distribution List for GMail. Basically, take the email addresses you want in the list and put them into a text editor (or a comment box or something like that) and get them in the format of:

<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>,<[email protected]>

Paste that into the email field of a contact that has the name you want for your Distribution List. It’s not the best solution, but it does work. It is annoying if you need to change or add an email address though.

• Merg

Thank you for sharing this workaround with anyone having issues with Distribution lists, Paul.