Crashing after hibernation

hello. my emclient is crashing alot latley. always after sleep/hibernation. its running in the background and sends notifications, but i cant get the main window to open. i click it in the taskbar and it plays a sound “windows error click” and nothing happens. it shows the right click menu but i cant close it from there, nothing happens. only way to fix it is killing it via taskmanager. then after restart it does its database checking.

i wouldnt mind it, but the db scanning takes like 20 minutes every time… its getting annoying…

Process ID: 6d60
Start time: 01d8a02332d86cad
Termination time: 4294967295
Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe
Report ID: 5c0ba6db-95fe-4067-9a92-e4729e7ae08a
Full name of the faulting package:
Relative Application ID of the faulty package:
Crash type: Top level window is idle

what can i do?

Closing eMC before hibernation/sleeping might be a good route to take.

well, it might be a workaround but sometimes i go afk for an hour and it will sleep automatically, because saving power these days aint a bad thing to do.

jueves 28 julio 2022 :: 1511hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @daniel84

These comments apply specifically to Win10, it is not known if they also apply in Win11, however, as you have an issue and if you are running Win11 it could perhaps be prudent to assume the effect could be the same.

You say sleep/hibernation, you should note that there is a difference between sleep & hibernate and the method you choose could effect the way that eMC performs

1./ When your system enters Sleep mode, the files you have open (and the unsaved data in them) are saved to the RAM
When your system is in Sleep mode, it uses very little power to keep things running
Sleep mode will not damage or otherwise shorten the lifespan of an SSD
Win10 will come out of a Sleep state much faster, more or less instantly.

2./ When your system enters Hibernate mode, the files you have open (and the unsaved date in them) are written to the disk
When your system is in Hibernate mode, it uses no power at all. It essentially powers the system off
Hibernate mode has been known to damage early generation SSDs and cause them to wear out sooner. Newer SSDs do not have this problem
Win10 will come out of a Hibernate state much slower, the time difference is significant.

Win10 generally has a harder time resuming from Hibernate mode and you may frequently end up restarting your system anyway. This is why, even if you plan on being away from the system for an extended period of time, Sleep mode may be the better option.

From this I suspect that when you leave your system and subsequently have issues with eMC it is because when coming out of the suspended state it attempts to use a database that is not quite as it should be because of an incorrect shut down.

You ask ¿what can I do? - the answer is ONLY use Sleep and NOT Hibernate.

Personally I use Sleep at close of business every day and have never had a problem - I use Win10 & Win11

Hope this helps.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

thanks for your reply, but what i mean is actually sleep mode. my laptop enters sleep mode 20 minutes after nothing happens. i disabled hibernation completely. the problem occurs after i wake up my laptop from sleep mode

Turn off auto sleep mode. Close eMC prior to closing the lid on the laptop.

Some changes were made in recent versions, so please download and install the latest from the Release History and see if there is any difference.

Hello,

our client who is trying out eM-Client on his Windows 10 laptop has also reported the similar problem, whenever the laptop wakes up from Sleep Mode, eMC shows a Program Error - eM-Client has stopped working. His eMC version is 9.2.2038.0, which is fairly recent. It seems like this issue has not yet been resolved.

Here is the screenshot of the error message our client has provided:

Is the database perhaps on an external drive, or network share? Or maybe on a mechanical disk that has some power saving option that delays access after waking?

If so, the database may not be immediately available when the computer wakes, so there will be an issue.

Thank you for the quick response!

We have reached back to our client and asked them to try changing the power saving option and see if that resolves the issue.

Otherwise send me an email at [email protected] with a link to this topic, and give me the email address that was entered in that crash report so I can find what was submitted and investigate it further.